Are aircone pots worth the $

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know in most of my Paphs the root growth is basically only along the sides of the pot. I could see this would help to get roots to grow through the centre of the mix.

David

Supposedly you get more air flow so I'd say yes.

-The material is 3 to 4 times thicker than the normal pots, very sturdy.
-The air cone would bring the air to the middle of the mix so less roots' rot. More so for big pots.
(I just hate that the edges & corners are so sharp)

Pots

Ray knew what he was dueing - there are no down sides to this pot - if you don't like the clear - they came in 2 - 3 more colors -john

I've started using them with Paphs and Phrags. My other orchids are still in good ol' fir bark mix in regular pots.

Why, are you a hemopheliac?!

Nope, but I think skinny peoples like me have the nerves' ending so close to the skin surface, which make them so sensitive to pain & pleasure:D.

What is your favorite source for air cone pots?
Thanks again for your replies.

P.S.
I changed my signature today from AHAB to Jim Toomey.

Thanks Scott, I'll try them.

You know I think I have heard of him. Isn't he just some crazy teacher, who shoots weddings on the weekends.
You know, no respectable photographer shoots weddings, that's just for hacks. LOL
The other jim Toomey

I strongly dislike aircone pots. I have stopped using them. I would rather use an open mix in a deeper pot that gets thinner at the base. Aircone pots do not allow the water to back up and wet the mix thoroughly. I think mix and proper watering is the key to getting air to the roots.

Paphioland is right when he or she says proper mix and watering is the key to good air in the root zone. I have used aircones for the past 20 years or so. With their unique design, you must be able to supply lots and lots of water in order to "flood" the pots. Pour on the water until the mix(bark type mix) begins to float then you can stop watering. This technique of watering allows air to be "pulled" into the pot as the water rushes out the bottom. This technique of watering is how you should water any orchid regardless of the type of pot. Air cones just takes more water to do this.

Paphioland is right when he or she says proper mix and watering is the key to good air in the root zone. I have used aircones for the past 20 years or so. With their unique design, you must be able to supply lots and lots of water in order to "flood" the pots. Pour on the water until the mix(bark type mix) begins to float then you can stop watering. This technique of watering allows air to be "pulled" into the pot as the water rushes out the bottom. This technique of watering is how you should water any orchid regardless of the type of pot. Air cones just takes more water to do this.

yup couldn't agree more. And the narrow pot at the bottom also helps achieve this.

Latest posts

Back