Aquacorps shares paphs.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all about some people's obsession with round and flat. Personally, I'm with those that likes spice with a recurved dorsal.

I wouldn't mind any of the three in my collection. The Doll's Kobold has impressive shape, but I love them all!

"Aqua Corps" was a technical diving in the mid-90's. Eric I still have the paph. Chrystalle to give you. I just need to find time to bring it and my daughter to the city.

The two hybrids are stunning. The dorsals on both are knockouts. I'd love to have both. I agree with some of the others on the spicerianum. While very nice I would not award it as the dorsal is not reflexed enough. It would be great for breeding hybrids though.

In order to preserve the integrity of the species, each Paph species should have well defined traits like dog breeds or canaries etc and deviations away from these traits should be punished. A reflexed dorsal would be a defined trait in spicerianum in my view. I really don't want all Paphs to look like tulips.

David

In order to preserve the integrity of the species, each Paph species should have well defined traits like dog breeds or canaries etc and deviations away from these traits should be punished.

Well said.

The two hybrids are stunning. The dorsals on both are knockouts. I'd love to have both. I agree with some of the others on the spicerianum. While very nice I would not award it as the dorsal is not reflexed enough. It would be great for breeding hybrids though.

In order to preserve the integrity of the species, each Paph species should have well defined traits like dog breeds or canaries etc and deviations away from these traits should be punished. A reflexed dorsal would be a defined trait in spicerianum in my view. I really don't want all Paphs to look like tulips.

David

I totally agree, David. One question, though: is it desirable to hybridise using plants of species where you have preserved 'the integrity of the species'? In a cross like Paph Lathmanianum (spicerianum x villosum), would a better result be one with a reflexed dorsal, or one with a 'flat' dorsal, using select parents to get the desired result? Which is better?

I totally agree, David. One question, though: is it desirable to hybridise using plants of species where you have preserved 'the integrity of the species'? In a cross like Paph Lathmanianum (spicerianum x villosum), would a better result be one with a reflexed dorsal, or one with a 'flat' dorsal, using select parents to get the desired result? Which is better?

With a hybrid it doesn't matter so I would be using the best shaped flower myself.

David

That, then, comes back to what is best? Some of that is personal preference, but if that differs form the judges, then too bad. 'Best for judging' can be very different than 'best for my own tastes'.

I LOVE both the hybrids!! Drooling on my keyboard.... The spice is really nice too, but as far as an example of the species, I think it looses some character with a dorsal like that. Flat Is good for certain types of breeding, but there's nothing wrong with some natural curves :wink:

Back