Anyone using LED grow light?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am highly impressed, what about temperatures?:)

I'm also impressed..lol But both my plants are old. They just didn't regress
this summer. I bought the 'Jewel' in March 2011 from the botanical garden
that was grown from a flask imported in 2006. So this plant is around 8 years old.
I got my 'Laura'x'Ana' around five years ago as a medium seedling. Even if
the flower stem doesn't develop or abort, at least I know that they are mature
enough to flower. :)
It's 25 celsius (80F) right now in my basement. Too darn hot!

The MOntreal botanical garden? how do you buy that from them? I have been often to their store and never saw this type of orchid, last time I went there they did not even had a paph in display in their green house?

this summer. I bought the 'Jewel' in March 2011 from the botanical garden
that was grown from a flask imported in 2006. So this plant is around 8 years old.
I got my 'Laura'x'Ana' around five years ago as a medium seedling. Even if
the flower stem doesn't develop or abort, at least I know that they are mature
enough to flower. :)
It's 25 celsius (80F) right now in my basement. Too darn hot!

Here's a picture of the growth of my Fritz Schomburg that was grown under
my fixture of T5HO and the new one grown under my 140w Led (red). I don't know
if the size is because of the led or that since it had flowered it's getting more
of a normal mature size plant ?

PhragFScomparaison.jpeg

PhragFScomparaison1.jpeg

As for the reef light it's still too soon to know. But right now I find my plants to be a bit pale green. But it's a higher wattage system so
it may be because of that...

The MOntreal botanical garden? how do you buy that from them? I have been often to their store and never saw this type of orchid, last time I went there they did not even had a paph in display in their green house?

I got this kovachii because I was a member of the orchidophiles de Montreal (french version of the orchid society). Sometimes they sell orchids during their
show that is held in the month of May (rencontre horticole du JBM). I got my
Saltimbanco and Andean Tears from that show

Another thing that scares me about those Led fixtures is that if one of the diodes burns out how will I be able to change it if I don't know the right color and will I
have to buy an entire new system in a few years ? I think that I'll have to really
look into Naoki's on making those lights ourselves.. lol

Did you know that you can preorder orchids from sellers for the next show ?

No, I have no knowledge of this society but I surely want to be a member now and I surely want to attend that show in May. And...I surely want to pre-order some nice ones. How do you pre-order? just become a member?

With my UFO led lamp, so far I replaced one controller that quit, and it was very easy to replace, just unscrew, unplug the old controller and replug the new one. I never had a led go bad so far so not sure how it goes if one fail. I have read from some of these sellers on ebay that they have such system that if one led goes bad then no others are affected.

Did you know that you can preorder orchids from sellers for the next show ?

You can't preorder from the botanical garden.
What I meant was that for the next show like ECOS orchidfête 2014 they usually list the vendors that will be attending this particular show and you can preorder from them. Sam from orchidinnusa won't be attending but you can send him an
email for an updated list of his plants as he's coming to Canada in september. Orchids Limited is coming to Canada in October but it's too late for plants listed in appendix 1. And for phragmipediums, Peruflora ([email protected]) is also coming in October. You can send them an email to get their curent lists. :)

Ok thanks for the link, I sent them a message to become a member.

Will get in touch with the people in your other links as well to get what they have available. Are the society meeting interesting? I see it's third wednesday of each month, so I may attend the next one.

the french orchid society is called : Orchidophiles de Montreal : http://orchidophilesmontreal.ca

Ok all done! thank you sooooo much!!! :clap:

You can't preorder from the botanical garden.
What I meant was that for the next show like ECOS orchidfête 2014 they usually list the vendors that will be attending this particular show and you can preorder from them. Sam from orchidinnusa won't be attending but you can send him an
email for an updated list of his plants as he's coming to Canada in september. Orchids Limited is coming to Canada in October but it's too late for plants listed in appendix 1. And for phragmipediums, Peruflora ([email protected]) is also coming in October. You can send them an email to get their curent lists. :)

If you are overwhelmed by the quantity of paphs that Sam has, get at least a rothschildianum. I waited way too long to get one.

The september meeting is the first one of the season, so usually it's the more crowded. It's fun, even when you don't know anyone at first. :)

I will go to that meeting if I can. This is the one I would like, it look a lot like the one you posted in your other thread, same color pattern, so beautiful!

7acv.jpg

Phragmipedium (kovachii x wallisii) from Peruflora
I will try to get it from them.

If you are overwhelmed by the quantity of paphs that Sam has, get at least a rothschildianum. I waited way too long to get one.

The september meeting is the first one of the season, so usually it's the more crowded. It's fun, even when you don't know anyone at first. :)

I only know two people that were successful flowering the Andean Tears...
and I'm not one of them, ... But it's still worth the try. Amazing and huge flowers.
Peruflora has it listed for 30-35 dollars (to bloom in two years ...so I guess it means large seedling).

That's a reasonable price to try it. I would not try it if it cost 300$ but 30 to 35 is not much to lose.

Well, I have not bloom a single paph or phrag yet. I only have one blooming now and I just bought it that way...so first time will be exciting! if it ever happen :)

I only know two people that were successful flowering the Andean Tears...
and I'm not one of them, ... But it's still worth the try. Amazing and huge flowers.
Peruflora has it listed for 30-35 dollars (to bloom in two years ...so I guess it means large seedling).

So where do you buy your led kit? I would not mind building my own kit if it was more affordable that way. What I meant by what's best for the plants is I want the best light spectrum for the plant growth, never mind how it look to my eyes, I don't care about that.

There isn't a kit, but the only special components you need are the LED and driver (and possibly thermal adhesive or LED holder). The rest (CPU heatsink, thermal paste, and 5-12V DC wallwart) can be found for cheap or free.

I got my cxa3070 from digi-key (US$40 + $ 3 or so for shipping). I think there is Canadian digikey (or Mouser). Then the driver is a generic ebay driver from China. Here is an example. You can search "50W LED waterproof driver", and find a cheap one (around $10-15). The efficiency of drivers differs a bit, but even the cheap ones are fairly decent (get around 89% AC to DC conversion efficiency).

It is better if you can drill and tap the heatsink to attache the LED, but if it is too much of trouble, iit is really easy to glue them with thermal adhesive. Running at 50W, I can place it about 3' above the plants, and I get about 100-140 micromole/m^2/s (good amount for Paphs). One CXA3070 covers about 2x2' area.

It is a white LED. The white LEDs used to be less efficient than monochromatic ones (you lose light due to the need to use phosphor coating). But due to the large market for white LEDs, the white technology seems to be improving faster than monochromatic LEDs.

Not as much as it look in this photo though, it does have a purple tint. I don't mind it because it's every bit of energy that my plants can actualy use. It's possible to add a regular white light in there to help but it's wasted energy for our own eyes :)

Is this what it really looks like?! OMG! No wonder you're smiling! electric Kool-aid! :p

Latest posts

Back