Quantcast

Another semi hydro question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
I took the plunge a few weeks ago and started converting some of my known keepers..phals & paphs into SH. I had hydroton on hand, so that is what I used. Nothing skipped a beat...I even changed several that had buds /blooms. I am seeing new root growth and new growths are emerging.
I used all my hydroton, so a friend gave me some Prime Agra which was cleaned & soaked , so I jump in a do a few more. I am not seeing any wicking of the water and have had leaves go limp on plants ! I am having to water every other day ! What gives ? I thought PA was suppose to be the best wicking ???? sooooooooo confused ! Help !

Bob in Albany N.Y.

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think it matters a whole lot which product you use. I've used a couple of different ones and basically buy the one that I can locally no matter what the brand. When you first put them into S/H you can water ever few days to help get them adjusted. After that I water once every 5 to 7 days in my greenhouse. Yes, the reservoir goes dry. But if you dump those aggregate after 7 days, you'll see they are still moist.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
It is the old Prime Agra...but cleaned & soaked for 2 days , so it should be "wet"...I do grow in the home and these cold days have really dried the air out..but still I thought it would not dry out that quick. These are qt size pots too !

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Hm....Can you keep up the watering for a while and hopefully they will acclimate and you can back off?

Sorry Gilda. My first go w/ S/H didn't go that well either. I didn't move everything that time, and I freaked out when I had some issues with salt buildup. When I tried again, I just committed to it, and I haven't had any deaths yet. (knocking on wood). Maybe try giving it some time, if you can afford it.
That said, I do have a plant that, since I got it (in bloom, a HUGE plant) has gone a bit floppy. I'm not sure if it's the 40" leafspan or the fact that it was blooming when I put it in S/H that has caused that.

Alternatively, you could just get them out of there!

J

johnndc

Are you noticing the water remaining in the reservoir, or is it disappearing (suggesting it's being used)?

P

Park Bear

Bob in Albany said:
Personally, I don't think it matters a whole lot which product you use. I've used a couple of different ones and basically buy the one that I can locally no matter what the brand. When you first put them into S/H you can water ever few days to help get them adjusted. After that I water once every 5 to 7 days in my greenhouse. Yes, the reservoir goes dry. But if you dump those aggregate after 7 days, you'll see they are still moist.

Ditto Bob...this how I do things.

I

IdahoOrchid

Candace said:
Gilda, you may want to water with some KLN to jump start those roots.
But will KLN jump start the wicking action that is currently the issue being delt with?:confused:

Candace

Reaction score
But will KLN jump start the wicking action that is currently the issue being delt with?

Of course not...wish there was a rolling the eyes icon. But it doesn't hurt to get the roots growing better when switching over to s/h. If they grow quickly down into the media, it doesn't matter if it's not wicking as well.

Latest posts