Another Japanese orchid show!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
As promised, I went to another orchid show and I'm posting pics. This show is quite small and is hosted twice a year by a local orchid club. Each year they tell me more "secrets" about the local orchids, where they can yet be found and other fascinating tid-bits. The spring show mostly has Calanthe and Dendrobium monilforme on display, but there were a some fuukiran and Cymbidiums as well.

Three Calanthe that caught my eye. The first two are hybrids with a lot of influence from C. discolor, particularly the first one. The last photo is C. sieboldii 'Ookan'. This is a very old cultivar that has yellow green leaves and the new growth and flower stalk range from pure white to canary yellow. It is an expensive form that is both beautiful and difficult to maintain being both slow growing and subject to disease.

DarkEbineIizuka.jpg
EbineNiceLipIizuka.jpg
CalSieboldiiOokan.jpg

Many of the D. moniliforme were not yet in flower since this spring has been decidedly cool. The morning of the show there actually was frost in places, something nearly unheard of in these parts at this late date.

An awesome specimen of a variegated form - I didn't see the name and should have asked! Growing a plant to this size and maintaining high quality of the growths is not that easy.

BigWhiteFLvarLFChousei.jpg

A beautiful purple form is 'Nikkou'. Here's a nice specimen.

Nikkou-1.jpg

Sorry for the less than perfect shots - the show room was very dark so I was shooting at 1000 ISO and that damn blue background didn't help any. See my other thread on the only plants I bought - not orchids, but bonsai!

Latest posts

Back