Another Deformed besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoyo_Jo

Catt's Meow
Reaction score
The first flower wasn't too bad, though I wondered about the streaky color....
IMG_1215.jpg

But the second flower is totally ugly
IMG_1548.jpg

The plant itself seems to be very healthy and there's a nice new little growth coming.
IMG_1542.jpg

I just got this plant in May.

The plant itself looks good. Other then heat stress, I can only think of cosmic rays, fear of another coming winter or bad vibes from jalous phrag siblings. :poke:

Looks like an Oncidium or Encyclia...hehe:D There is no need to worry though!!

I had the same problem with a Saint Ouen. The flowers were very bad at home but very nice in the greenhouse of the seller.
I think he didn't like my too warm conditions in my cultur room and maybe artificial lights. (and less humidity too)

I have had problems like this off and on over the years. Your plant looks fairly healthy. Don't change much, just tweak your conditions.

My recomendation would be to try to increase the day-might temperature differential. A little cooler at night and a little warmer during the day may very well help with the flower development. A little higher humidity would also help, but I have seen this in my Phrags when my night temps are too high. The specific night temp is not as important as the day-night differential. I try to cool below 68F at night, preferably below 65 F.

Hope this helps

I'd repot immediately. Phrags love to be repotted. That flower and the other one with the streaky colour make me think that you've got something going on with pH in the mix or there's some element that has built up to toxic levels in the mix.

Wow, Joanne I have seen your thread only now, but we seem to have a similar problem (my pic in John's Halloween thread). I have it on a plant that bloomed 'normally' last season, whereas I have a second one blooming rather 'normally' just beside (maybe a bit more shady)! Jean

Happy update!

Oh yay, the final (fourth or fifth) flower is okay.:smitten:
I didn't change anything; but the room I grow them in is now quite a bit cooler than in the summer....sorry for the crappy photo...I will take photography lessons in the New Year...

IMG_1630.jpg

Back