Another day in Africa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score
Africa can be a hard and difficult place. It is a continent caught off balance with one foot in the past and the other streaching out to catch up with a rollercoaster world of technological and social changes. There are huge social, political and economic uncertainties, but amoung all this I find great happiness. Nowhere am I as happier than in the bush. I have a small portion of Eden, a place which gives me great joy.
However every three years a difficult day dawns. It is a day I both look forward to and one which fills me with incredible sadness. Every three years I reduce our game levels to ensure that the browsing and grazing can sustain the animals through the dry season. Although the general plains game are close to my heart, non are closer than the giraffe. I have been selectively breeding these for melanistic character over the last 20 years, but each individual is special to me and it breaks my heart to see the non selected individuals go. I placate myself by trying to convince myself that they will be going to other areas where they will make other people happy.
And finaly that day dawns,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I woke up at dawn to find the game capture crew had arrived in the night and set up camp in the back garden. Now just to wait for the helicopter and pilot to arrive;

Next order of business, a aerial srvey of the farm, and a game count to determine the approximate locations of the animals which need to be caught and removed

Now that the largest concentrations of game and more specifically the location of those that need to be removed has been determined, all that remains is to start building the catch pens (called Bomas in Africa)

While the team continue building, the afternoon is spent moving arround the farm to try and move the big melanistic bulls away from the immediate catch area. These animals have all been caught a number of times and are very nervous of the helicopter in the air. Should they stampede they will crash through game fences and hurt themselves

Then as evening approaches it is back to the house for dinner, glass of wine and an early night. Tomorrow is a BIG day!

A peacefull sunset as a prelude to a sad day

What a huge responsibility you have, Trithor.

Sad to have to send animals other places, but the good thing is they will live, and will continue to make the earth a beautiful place.

Glad they are being relocated rather than culled. But if the giraffe in the picture is a "reject" I can't imagine what the good ones look like..that's the most beautiful giraffe I have ever seen!

I feel like I just got back from a mini vacation! Now I'm all hot a sweaty and ready for that wine! The bull is mighty handsome!

Last edited:
Africa is a hard place, but a place that is unique and magical. I second the
relocating rather than culling. I remember the consequences of culling
matriarch elephants. However, losing personal friends is sad for you and
not quite the same thing. I hope all is well. I'm very glad there are people like you there to preserve what is left of wild Africa. The bull is a handsome fellow!

Yes Rick, that is my farmhouse. The property extends laterally out of the picture and into the distance to the other side of the hills. The farm house sits approximately in the center, so it obviously extends a similar distance behind as well. The rather bizare 'castle' crossed 'Mali fortress' evolved from trying to get a water tank high enough to generate sufficient pressure in the shower when we loose power (fairly often in summer when we get electrical storms). It also makes a great spot to have a gin and tonic and watch the sun go down at the end of a hot day.:)

An update at the end of Day 2

Early awake pre-dawn, a few hurried cups of coffee and pack a few cold drinks for the day. Today will be a very busy, and emotional day. I anxiously wait for it to be light enough so we can get started. The capture crews leave by truck to the capture site and leave us to refuel the helicopter, perform our pre-flight checks and discuss the prefered order of capture.

The helicopter is busy zig-zaging from the bottom end of the farm, slowly driving game towards the capture area. Just enough time for a last minute inspection, and we wait........

Time seems to drag by. The helicopter can be heard working just beyond the tree line, and then suddenly it begins,...
The helicopter spins into view just above the tree tops driving the game infront of it

A squawk over the two way radios and we know that the first animals have run into the mouth of the catch boma. For painfull minutes the animals remain hidden from view while the ground crew drive them forwards, so that the retreat curtains can be drawn. The noise draws near, and at last,

A lot of dust, and noise. The zebra hesitate at the ramp and require some persuation to go up the ramp into the waiting trucks

Wow do the Zebra stallions hate being in the trucks! A lot of very angry kicking and agressive moving arround below our feet. Another two herds of zebra and the first trucks are on the road. A brief moment of peace to rearrange things, a few things to check over while we wait for the next species to arrive

Second up are the wildebeest

The bulls can be incredibly agressive in confined spaces and need to be tranquilised to prevent injuries to the cows and calves. A job for the young and agile

After 3 herds of predominantly females and young, it is time to end the day with the big bulls. These are sepparated out prior to chasing the mixed herds in, in order to keep injuries to the absolute minimum. These big boys are much more agressive and wary

At the end of a long day, on the way back to the farm house 'Albany' wants to know what all the fuss is about. This bull bent over peering at us passing, may look small, but measures over 5,4m high in a relaxed pose, and streatching can reach somewhat higher

And finaly back at the house! A bit of tranquility and a chance to reflect on what has transpired today, over a good bottle of wine.

Not a time to celebrate, just a time to be greatfull for no injuries today. No injuries to animals or staff, always a good thing at the end of a day like this. Good night all!:(

So where is the greenhouse part?

In the planning phase, my wife has threatened to divorse me if I start building another greenhouse. I think she realises that if a greenhouse is built on the farm, a permanent move up to there is on the cards, and there are no malls or fancy resturants up there.:(

Latest posts

Back