Anoectochilus sandvicensis (in-situ)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete

Reaction score
I was recently able to visit some new area surrounding a bog on the summit of Mt. Ka'ala on Oahu (the islands highest peak), to survey for several rare plants, including one of the three native orchids to hawaii, Anoectochilus sandvicensis . Below are several pictures of the plants from two different populations. We were surprisingly pleased to see the species seemingly doing very well in this particular area. We counted 4 distinct populations with good regeneration and a good amount of plants. now is not the flowering time but I will return when it is and update with photos. we saw only one very small (aberrant) bloom.
the last photos are of what the habitat looks like around there (they are found growing in rather deep shade) and it stays a bit cooler there (~intermediate to warm) and is very wet. last 2 pictures are the view :)

IMG_6821_zpsaab385b6.jpg

IMG_6889_zps2c1e1eeb.jpg

IMG_6888_zps4a008124.jpg

IMG_6887_zps3297852e.jpg

here, numerous plants growing on a vertical cliff outside a cave, on the summit. beautiful habitat.
IMG_6886_zps47a04193.jpg

IMG_6885_zpsaa58872e.jpg

IMG_6847_zpsa298e5d6.jpg

IMG_6936_zpsc034e281.jpg

IMG_6949_zps5a274f0e.jpg

cool; nice pictures. are these the species that i'd read about, where some were propagated in the lab and reintroduced to the wild?

All I can think of when you say "bog" is the mosquitoes of upstate NY. :p thanks for sharing.

you forgot the deerflies ;) (if you close your eyes and listen, you can still hear the 'hum' of the mosquito wings :rollhappy: )

Maybe but I have never seen it for sale. I don't expect to see it either as I think it is really endangered. :(

you forgot the deerflies ;) (if you close your eyes and listen, you can still hear the 'hum' of the mosquito wings :rollhappy: )

ACKK!! :viking: At least those upstate heavy bomber mosquitoes make a noise, unlike the NYC stealth fighters!!

Latest posts

Back