manzurii? In situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eteson

Phragmad
Reaction score
Yesterday I had the great chance of visiting a small population manzurii? plants. It is located about 15-20Km from the original population were it is found this form and 20km away from the population were these other clones where collected.

Some interesting data:

The substrate of most part of the plants is quite dry.. the dry season is ending by now but the plants and are able to tolerate quite well the dry soil.

Plants with branching floral stalks are the most stressed ones... plants growing in the shade and most humid conditions do not branch.

the substrate is a limestone... well actually a calcareous sandstone interbeded with calcareous shale full of fossils with high content in CaCO3.

pH of the water of the river is about 6.5
TDS is under 115
Plants grow in vertical cliffs with E or W exposition... we should try to grow this species mounted horizontally?

All the plants from this population self-pollinate. every plant was full of seedpods some of the plants were bearing up to 8 seedpods!

some of the plants are able to branch the flower stalk up to 4 times..

We where unable to find big clumps of plants... plants seem to be short-lived and spending a lot of energy in reproduction by seed but not in vegetative reproduction...
Seems to me a very very stressed population. The stress is not by over collection. The place is not known by most part of the collectors-predators.

Some pictures... enjoy!:

FLOWER
flower.jpg

FLOWER
flower2.jpg

BRANCHING PLANT, FULL OF PODS
manzuriibranching.jpg

ME SOOO HAPPY
image.jpg

PLANT
plant.jpg

SEEDLINGS
plantlets2.jpg

BIGGER SEEDLINGS
smallplants.jpg

That is wonderful, Eteson! What a great find!

It looks like manzurii will have lots of flowers on each inflorescence.

Wild!!

Is this dry season? It still looks fairly damp and seepy. The lower pic looks like liverworts growing next to those larger seedlings. Those don't usually tolerate much of a dry condition.

That seed pod production is amazing.

And seedlings sprouting on damp rock!?!?!

Last edited:
Thank you so much!
Tyler i got some seed from a open seedpod of the best plant I found in the population... It is going to be sown in a few hours!

¡¡Asi si!!

That is the way! Thanks for sharing and hopefully this report may serve for educational purposes - protect plants in-situ!

Seems like it could be a candidate for basket growing. Good louck with the seeds.

Sounds like a great trip! It looks like the smaller seedlings are sprouting on a thin moss layer rather than bare rock? That seed capsule production is really something......do you know if this habitat is being protected in any way?

Tom it is not being protected...and it is better this way... in Colombia if you want protect something keep the place unoticed... if you try to get it protected by the administration it will dissapear in a couple of years... it is much better to keep the places low profile by now...

Just seeing this post now, WOW, amazing, thanks so much for sharing, you are very lucky to be able to experience this species in the wild!

Latest posts

Back