Amorphophallus titanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is opening up!!

The strange thing is that there are two more Corpse Flowers here in the United States, one at the Gustavus College in St. Peter and one in Huston, Texas, and all 3 are opening up at the same time. I don't think it is coincidence, just like some Bamboo species the corpse flower has some kind of biological clock that times the blooming that all plants open up at the same time.

Tomorrow I will post some pics.

Robert

She is Open!

Yes, we are going to try to cross pollinate it with the one that is opening up at Gustavus college.

When I cam in the greenhouse this morning you could smell it as soon as you opened the door, it was a combination of rotting cabbage, rotting potatoes, rotting fish and roadkill all combined in one, and the closer you got to the plant the stronger it got. I measured here this morning, and the total height (from the base to the top) is 59 inches (150 cm). Here are some pictures of this morning:

Amorphophallustitanicum57222010.jpg

Amorphophallustitanicum107222010.jpg

Amorphophallustitanicum97222010.jpg

AmorphophallustitanicumClose17212010.jpg

Amorphophallustitanicum87222010.jpg

It was interesting, but last night when it was starting to open, the flies where already coming to visit "stinky":

FlyandAtitan27212010.jpg

Robert

That's awesome! I hope the pollination takes! Thanks for posting all these pictures!

sounds absolutely disgusting :p congratulations! :D is stinky its new name? ;)

silly!:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

Do they produce offsets? Do you hold your breath when your near it? ;)

She is opening up!!

The strange thing is that there are two more Corpse Flowers here in the United States, one at the Gustavus College in St. Peter and one in Huston, Texas, and all 3 are opening up at the same time. I don't think it is coincidence, just like some Bamboo species the corpse flower has some kind of biological clock that times the blooming that all plants open up at the same time.

Tomorrow I will post some pics.

Robert

As you said,also I think is not coincidence...friend of mine got one in flower in China,and here another one in flower in Koishikawa Botanical garden in Tokyo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/subjuntivo/4820997916/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/subjuntivo/4820378475/

Unfortunately my greenhouse is not enough high to grow this.
I remember also Selby Gardens use to have flowering size plants...will be nice to know if are flowering.

Hence the name of the plant: amorpho ''phallus''. Keeps me wondering why they give them female names. Penis envy, I suppose? :confused:

Latest posts

Back