Amorphophallus titanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

One of our Amorphophallus titanum's is about ready to bloom. This plant produces the largest inflorescence of any plant species. It is related to the North American Jack in the Pulpit. if you are close by you should stop by Orchids Limited to check it out, you don't see these too often in bloom!

Amorphophallustitanicum7132010.jpg

Amorphophallustitanicum-close-71320.jpg

Robert

Robert, please give us an idea of the size of the pot and the height of the bud in the photos. Thanks for sharing them with us. Please also keep posting updates as the bud progresses. Do those flowers have a bad smell? How long does it take to reach blooming size? Does the plant die after flowering? Very curious....
John

That is so wonderful. I have to content myself with a much smaller Amorphophallus konjac. But I have certainly contemplated trying to grow titanum, I do have a greenhouse after all. I could put it outside for 6 months of the year, and put it just inside the doorway of the greenhouse during the winter. How tall does the plant grow, and approximately how wide is the leaf spread?

Robert, please give us an idea of the size of the pot and the height of the bud in the photos. Thanks for sharing them with us. Please also keep posting updates as the bud progresses. Do those flowers have a bad smell? How long does it take to reach blooming size? Does the plant die after flowering? Very curious....
John

The pot is about 30 cm (2ft 6") tall, and the flower bud is about 45 cm (3 ft 9") tall at this moment. Last year the leaf was almost 7 ft tall with a 5 to 6 ft spread; it looked like a giant umbrella.

We are growing it in regular potting soil, with just some bark on top (to prevent weeds from growing). I believe this plant is at least 15 years old, and I don't think it will die after it is done blooming (but we will find out). At this moment the flower is not fragrant yet, but yes it will be pretty smelly when it is fully open (hence the "corpse flower").

And yes, I will keep posting more pictures...

Robert

wish i could come see that in bloom:D i almost bought one a few years back but didn't have the room. keep us posted with its progress!

I remember seeing that plant when I was there, not in bloom, of course. There has been another one of these in the news recently -- I forget where. Florida maybe?

Wow! My A. konjac came up this year bigger than ever...its maybe 4' high...but still no blooms.

This is just FANTASTIC. I had the opportunity to see one of these many years ago. So exciting! Please keep us posted.

Oh Rats! I Might be able to swing by there the very end of August when we're up north to see friends and family, but it'll probably be done by then...? Just make sure to make someone stand next to the smelly thing when you take a pic after it's open - that way we can judge both the relative size and the stink by the look on their face! :evil::rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back