Amorphopahllus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
Amorphophallus

Looks like a little "love" went on amongst the amorphophallus or voodoo(with the emphasis on doo:rollhappy:) lily ! It has multiple stinkys this year !!

DSCF00022.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe you grow this! Your friends must be pleasantly shocked too! :rollhappy:
Eric,
I like the weird & unusual :poke:! It is at the far corner of our lawn, near the pasture. You can see the stock pond in the far distance. That is an electric fence ,the line you see about 1/4 way down the top of the picture.
You really have to be fairly close to it to catch the "fragrance" ! Besides, we have horses in the pasture and are use to "fragrance". :wink:
I would not recommend this for a new York City apt. though !:D

Awesome! Do you know which species this is? I'd like to try growing them outdoors, too. Plant Delights has several species for sale.

Looks like Amorphophallus konjac. Very fun plant to grow, and I love the foliage even more than the flower. I have actually flowered this inside. The perfume was barely noticeable in an unheated garage with temps in the 40s (F).

Great! i grow both A. konjac and bulbifer outdoors here in NYC, but neither have ever bloomed, although they come up reliably every year....Take care, Eric

Looks like Amorphophallus konjac. Very fun plant to grow, and I love the foliage even more than the flower. I have actually flowered this inside. The perfume was barely noticeable in an unheated garage with temps in the 40s (F).

Thanks for the name ! I agree, the foliage is nice on these, very tropical looking. I really like the dark contrast of the blooming spike against all the green of Spring, too.
Ok experts , I have a question...how do these spread ? Rhizomes, bulbs ??? I am thinking it was a bulb my friend gave me ?

Really interesting plant; I hadn't heard of it before. After googling the plant, I showed this thread to my husband and his only comment was "don't even think about it"... :rollhappy:

My friends' bloomed this Spring down in her orchid room. She has a room she keeps the door closed on and it stays cooler in there. This is where she rests all dug up bulbs. When her's reached a certain point she put it in the orchid area so the lights would help develop the color. At first it was very pale/enemic looking. We went down one evening after it was fully developed and I thought I would "RALPH". I said I never wanted to smell that again.

Back