Aerangis punctata--mini angraecoid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

neo-guy

This is a tiny aerangis, only about 2" across with a flower almost the size of the plant. It has a long spur of about 3" long. It is mounted on wood and growing in my intermediate greenhouse.
Unfortunately the flowers only last a few days! Does anyone else grow this one with longer lasting flowers?

2759248540_4e98553412.jpg

and a side view with the plant:

2758409599_869640ab47.jpg

Peter T.

I tried twice, never got one to establish and grow for me. A couple months is the longest I've owned one. Yours is lovely.

Nice job. Mine bloomed twice for me before saying farewell and, yes, they were much shorter lived than I thought they should be given how long the inflorescences took to develop (mine wasn't fragrant either, and it should have been). Those leaves though... So nice! And the roots, too. It's been on my list of "try agains" with some modifications I have in mind, but I'm not in much of a hurry. Mottled leaves abound around here, though there's for sure something jewel-like about them when they're that small.

It must be punctata season -- mine's in bloom now, also. It opened yesterday. I'll let you know how long it lasts. Right now, I have it outside handing off my North-facing front porch. It gets a little early morning sun and a little dappled early evening sun.

I don't want to steal your thread, Peter. But for comparison, here's my punctata. It looks a little more orangish than yours, but otherwise, the plant is certainly as small.

Aerangis_punctata-front.jpg

Aerangis_punctata-side.jpg

No problem Dot! The more pictures the merrier!
Thanks for posting your plant.
Peter T.

I promised I'd let you know when mine faded. It opened on Sunday, Aug. 17 and began fading on Wednesday, Aug. 27. So it lasted for 11 days.

Another nice one :clap: How do you guys grow them?

Elena, during the Summer, I have it outside hanging on a plastic trellis on the North side of the house. It gets some east light in the early morning, and dappled west light late in the day. So most of the time it's in bright shade. In the Winter, I have it hanging inside a clay pot that sits in water. The clay pot wicks up the water, keeping the inside of the pot a little more humid than the surrounding area. This pot is in front of a window that faces SE, and pretty much intermediate temperatures. I spray it with water every day, year around.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Dot, very informative. I like the sound of that clay pot trick!

Yes, sounds very interesting to me!! Have to try it!!

Years ago, I bought some small specially built clay pots without hole (at the bottom :)), where the plant was supposed to be mounted on the outside, and then the pot filled up with water that evaporates slowly, the pot walls being humid all the time! :eek: . Only, there were two things that showed that the principle was ok but practice was different!! : you always have to (not forget to) fill up water, and then the pot became leaky as time went by (you had to refill once a day!!).... I only have 1 masdevallia that survived, it is still mounted on that pot, a lot of moss has grown around, the plant gets new growths but no flowers!!! Jean

Latest posts

Back