aerangis kirkii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoserenus

the beauty of nature
Reaction score
aeranguskirkii001.jpg
aeranguskirkii002.jpg
aeranguskirkii003.jpg

I cannot take full credit for bringing it into bloom since I bought it when it was spiking already, but I think the previous owner damaged the spike when it was developing so it only produced two flowers. Nonetheless, I hope I can bring it into bloom again soon. It is extremely fragrant--it smells like those so-called unscented handcreams. The flower spans a little over 1", tall 1.5", and the spur is 2.5".

That's really pretty, and fragrant too, how excellent. How will you be going it?

thanks for looking guys =)

barbara: well i'm pretty sure she'll be more happy mounted than potted so i think i'll keep her on the mount. she currently hangs in a low-light area. if i can get her to bloom the second time around, i'll be sure she's happy.

likespaphs: it is only night fragrant, and it's very picky too. when i mean "night", i'm talking near pitch darkness--if i keep the desklight on, the smells stops.

very very interesting!!!!! at first i was worried that it was getting too much light (from the previous owner) hence the bronzing of the leafs. i looked up the light requirements and it said full shade so i am shading it. but from wat i can see from you, it does fine in higher light.well, i guess i dun mind moving it back out for some more light.

thanks jon.

Very nice ... i really like these ... although I only have the distincta hybrid of this species.

Just a caution though if you are growing in a humid enviroment ... I've had a problem with sphag and some of the thicker rooted Aerangis species ... they really like their roots to dry off every day. I no longer use sphag even when mounting them ... bare roots are safer IMO.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim: i grow them in my bedroom and all my mounts dries off pretty much on a daily basis--dried as in crunchy sphagnum =) so i think i'll be fine ^^

Latest posts

Back