A "What were they thinking?" Paph cross

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paph (Hatsue Otsuka x Pacific Shamrock). Not my hybrid. I won it at the auction at the Slipper Symposium in Orlando. Needless to say, I was very curious, as Hatsue Otsuka is ([primulinum x armeniacum] X rothschildianum) and Pacific Shamrock is 100% huge green complex. The flower size may not be accurate as the first bud on the spike blasted.

PaphHatsueOtsukaxPacificShamrock.jpg

Ha ha ha Well, it is a little awkward looking. But its also neat & I like the colour personally...and you have to try crossing different things, right?

nice armeniacum like color, primulinum like pouch, but I did not suspect a roth in this one!!! Jean

May be the roth contribution is in the leaves.:D
Actually, we can see a little bit of faint lines on the petals, and very faded striped pouch

I think it's pretty cool. I like odd blooms anyways. Probably because I'm a bit odd myself. :D

For reference, I've posted pics of my Paph Hatsue Otsuka, which is currently in bloom.
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=152638#post152638

Just so no one gets to wrong idea, I am not trying to be critical of the cross. Curiosity is what inspired me to bid on the plant as I too, have made some "What were they thinking?" crosses. If this flower is typical of the cross, I would guess that the anticipated results did not occur.

With so many diverse progenitors, I have to wonder if there wouldn't be a fair amount of variation in the progeny.
It would be interesting to see a group of the cross.

You really do grow your plants very well! The Paph Hatsue Otsuka is great!

To me it seems like a logical cross to begin to combine multifloral characterstic with complex form. I often see orchid people call such a cross a failure if it isn't an 'improvement' over the parents, but real plant breeders know that there are goals that may take 3 or 4 or 20 generations to reach, and you have to start somewhere.

:rollhappy: :rollhappy: Total shocker!
I agree with PaphMadMan but would have never expected this! You have to keep it for one more blooming!

I really like the color, and the dorsal sepal & pouch are fine together. It's the laterals that don't quite "work" with the rest of the flower, at least for me. Kevin makes a good point about not knowing just what might be in vogue down the line. These surprises can be fun.

BTW, the Paph Hatsue Otsuka just rocks!

I'm with those here who think its not an improvement over either parent, but I also believe PaphMadMan has a good point when he's saying you have to start somewhere with a new breeding line. If this one turns out to be a real mutlifloral on subsequent bollomings, it may have some interesting genes to inherit with these parents. I'm just not sure about the armeniacum part in it.

So far it is interesting :wink:

Back