Paph. Saint Patrick -2 miracles on one plant!!-

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This is a cross I made between a complex green, Paph. Virgin Sheila (= Sheila Hanes x Via Virgenes) and our 4N Paph. primulinum 'Kings Crown':

Plant:
PaphSaintPatrick-plant-8252010.jpg

Close up (sorry the flower is not at its best):
PaphSaintPatrick-close-8252010.jpg

Two strange things are going on with this plant; First of all I think this is the first "everblooming" complex Paph! The second flower is now open (the first already fell off), there is a 3rd bud, and it still had at least two more buds coming and maybe more...

PaphSaintPatrick18252010.jpg

The other strange thing, at the end of the first flower spike it is making a Keiki, has anyone else ever seen a Keiki growing of a Paph flower spike?

PaphSaintPatrick-keiki-8252010.jpg

Robert

1.- Very nice... the potential of sequencial 'everblooming' complex Paphies... imagine if this could be inherited to something more "Bulldoggy"...

2.- Are you sure this is not a Paphionopsis? :D this is very weird... curious to see if this happens in future spikes too...

I've seen a Paph keiki once before, on a species cochlo. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often when cochlo genes for an indeterminate meristem get mixed up in a hybrid. Please, let us know if you manage to get roots to form. Do you plan on breeding with it? Everblooming Paphs that clone themselves would be nice.

Very cool, Robert! I've never seen or heard of a Paph. growing a keiki on the flower stem. VERY interesting. However, if you think of it, it does seem a reasonable thing for a sequential Paph. to do. 'Makes you wonder why it isn't common. The very nature of the way a sequentially blooming stem works requires it to have meristematic tissue in the tip. I know that Oak Hill Gardens cloned their Phrag. Sedenii 'Blush' from the growing tip of a new flower stem. At the time, they said Phrags with a sequential blooming habit should all be able to be cloned in this way. You'd think the same would apply to sequentially blooming Paphs too.?????

really cool. never seen anything like that keiki on a paph, i would be really interested to see if that thing made roots.
this is a very similar breeding type to that, an older plant i have that is one of my favorites, always blooms with 3-4 flowers, never really holding two open at the same time...
the cross is (primulinum x Cherokee)
IMG_0024-1.jpg

I have seen something similar. I had a complex paph that produced a keikii instead of a flower spike.

Yep that's new to me as well. I have never heard of this happening but it's very exciting.

hi pete & robert
what are dimensions of your flowers ?
how long from flask to flower
what's the dimension of the plants when flower
where the crosses very fertile ? did it produce many flasks?
regarding the keiki on paph's i've seen it sporadic in some paph. faireanum, right underneath the flower bract and in some maudiae types hybrids and the occasional brachy species.
happy orchid greetings from northern thailand
cliokchi

Latest posts

Back