A question about runts

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carkin

Reaction score
Do runts ever reach a point where they take off and start growing really well? Or do they always remain slower and weaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes they will grow. For me they either die or just grow much more slowly. I give them a year out of flask then cull.the true 1% runts.

So they always stay slow then?
I bought a Phrag. in 2011 and it was the last one so I didn't have any others for comparison. Turns out it probably was a runt. Originally it was potted in 2009! It's soooo slow growing, but I love it and will keep babying it. Just wondering if it will ever pick up the pace, lol!

e03197405e97368c1ab1c33410443163.jpg

It's a cross that phrag guy (Russell) made. I don't think there are many around so it's pretty special to me. I just wish it would bloom, lol!!

I'll try that, thanks Eric.
I pretty sure they don't have any more. I bought it in 2011 and it was the last one. They have barely had any Phrags for a while now.

I agree, try permanent water in the saucer and consistently moist/wet medium for better growth. Of course some are always bound to be slower and others to be faster, without that necessarily making them runts if they have another nice attribute, but good culture will show its potential

I have a lot of those from clouds. usually it's the crosses that they have only one or two plant of. I bought a whole bunch of them a while back and they haven't done much since. Some of them have tags that says they've been potted since 2008!!! Now I just buy when I see there's a bunch of them.

I have a lot of those from clouds. usually it's the crosses that they have only one or two plant of. I bought a whole bunch of them a while back and they haven't done much since. Some of them have tags that says they've been potted since 2008!!! Now I just buy when I see there's a bunch of them.

Do you have any of this cross?

Throw it away.
You'll be a better buyer in the future.

Oh, I am a way better buyer now!! Like I said I bought that five years ago.

I'm not going to throw this one away. I would give Eric a go at growing it before I did that!! It's not taking up much space and I haven't seen this cross around anywhere else to buy. So I'll keep growing it...albeit very slowly!

Latest posts

Back