A little question about dels please

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abax

In Remembrance 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a del. just about to open and I examined the tag today. The tag
has "delenatii (darker leaf)" on it and that's all. The foliage is very dark and
very pretty, but so far the bud looks approximately the same as a species
del. This lack of info. on the tag is confusing for me. I assume it's not
a dunkel or a vini or whatever. Can anyone differentiate the kinds of dels.
for me?

Will do, Eric. I'm waiting for the bloom to open and a bit of sun (not likely)
to take some photos. At this point, the pouch appears to be quite dark, but
that could change once the flower is finally open.

Paph delenatii vinicolor (or v. dunkel as it was known), has leaves with the dark outer margin and a darker pouch than normal delenatiis. There are some crosses of normal x vinicolor, for some reason..:confused:

Paph delenatii vinicolor (or v. dunkel as it was known), has leaves with the dark outer margin and a darker pouch than normal delenatiis. There are some crosses of normal x vinicolor, for some reason..

A pointless and terrible idea in my opinion.

it's to improve the size and form of the vinicolor's flowers. i'm a "purist" myself but i can see why someone would make the cross.

The plan would be to use those as a stepping stone. It has been done with wardii alba, for example. Crossed a big standard color wardii with a nice alba (all of which have smaller flowers), they all come out larger flowered and colored because of ... well... genetics. Take two of the nicest of those and cross them together, you should get 25% alba, which should hopefully have picked up lots of size.

This is pretty standard breeding SOP. I imagine that is why the delenatii x delenatii v. dunkel cross was made, not so much because you expect anything out of that particular grex, but you expect the grandchildren to be nicer. I don't know why anyone would release the intervening generation, but greed is a motivator I guess. If I did it (and I had space), I'd bloom out and throw out.

One reason for not doing the intermediate crosses (and releasing them) is
confusion for people like me who are intent on learning about Paphs. without
being overwhelmed with so many names and many that aren't accurate.
If I should get lucky tomorrow, I'll take some photos. The flower looks like
a "normal" del to me.

I'm not sure where it came from. Nothing on the tag. I got this plant in a trade of low light for high
light plants with Bullsie Susan. The tag is pink. Does that help????

I haven't bought from them yet, don't know the tag. .... and actually they could have gotten seedlings from the same source as whoever Bullsie got them from. I just inquired about a plant name on their catalog and they said it was the exact way the source listed it so didn't know the answer to my question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back