A couple of henryanums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here are a couple pictures of my henryanum. As I said earlier it is quite dark and does not have real good form. This is the first bloom for this plant.

Sorry about the size of the first pic. I thought it was smaller.

I wonder if the form will improve on the next blooming. Not only are the colors rich, I like the spotting pattern on the dorsal!:clap:

I wonder if the form will improve on the next blooming. Not only are the colors rich, I like the spotting pattern on the dorsal!:clap:

The form can sometimes improve as a plant gets bigger. The color can also be affected some by the blooming conditions. Here's an example of the same henryanum, one year apart.

The first bloom is August 2005

Paphhenryanumbettercolor-1.jpg

This bloom is December 2006

PaphhenryanumGem1206.jpg

Paphreek,
You are positive these two are the same clone? The reason I ask, is the staminode changed as well! I find that amazing. This could easily be over looked if photographic evidence wasn't kept and reviewed on annual bloomings. Some taxos give a lot of weight to the staminode shape in order to separate species. Your example blows that out of the water!

...is the staminode changed as well! I find that amazing. This could easily be over looked if photographic evidence wasn't kept and reviewed on annual bloomings...

Rick you are right that's really amazing!!! The staminode changed not only in colouration but also in it's shape!
BTW it's always nice to see flowers like these shown in this thread.

BEst regards from Germany, rudolf

Both flowers are listed as Paph henryanum 'Gem' on my photo records. That doesn't preclude an error, but I have seen the dorsal on this plant improve dramatically.
Here's another picture of the same flower on another blooming: 5/29/06
PaphhenryanumGem-1.jpg

Picture #1 was taken 8/01/05
Picture #2 was taken 12/25/06 The color on this photo may be a tad off due to florescent lights.

Very interesting Paphreek. I was going to say that the time of the year must have a lot to do with the quality of the flower BUT I re-read your cultural post and see you grow in the basement. That leaves very little chance for temperature fluctuation.
Even still, If I am seeing correctly, the 5/06 staminode is slighty different then the 12/6 blooming. 5/06 very little "teeth" vs. 12/06 well defind "teeth"

Very interesting Paphreek. I was going to say that the time of the year must have a lot to do with the quality of the flower BUT I re-read your cultural post and see you grow in the basement. That leaves very little chance for temperature fluctuation.
Even still, If I am seeing correctly, the 5/06 staminode is slighty different then the 12/6 blooming. 5/06 very little "teeth" vs. 12/06 well defind "teeth"

Our basement is a walk out basement, so it does tend to be warmer in the summer.

Well then the summer heat may explain the great differences in flower form. I have Maudiae 'Los Osos' which blooms two, sometimes three times per year and the mid summer flowers don't looking anything like the awarded slide!

Back