A couple of henryanums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are currently in bloom. This first one 'FV #1' is in its third season of blooming, with three flowers and two buds. So while the form is not great, it is a very prolific grower and bloomer.
PaphhenryanumFV12.jpg

This one is designated as henryanum 'P'.
PaphhenryanumP808.jpg

Nice henrys! Would you care to share your cultural secrets?
All my henryanums grow in the basement under florescent lights. I grow them in a typical CHC/Sponge Rock/Charcoal mix. They get 14 hours of light year round, are fertilized weekly with an MSU type formula for R/O water. Once a month, I skip fertilizer and flush all pots with pure R/O water with a little epsom salts added.

Probably the biggest secret to growing and blooming henryanum is to get the right plant. I have some multi growth plants that are difficult to bloom and others that bloom regularly. I also have a few that don't grow well at all and are still small one or two growth plants. They may end up in compost, soon. Growing in the house, I have very little room for under performers.

All my henryanums grow in the basement under florescent lights. I grow them in a typical CHC/Sponge Rock/Charcoal mix. They get 14 hours of light year round, are fertilized weekly with an MSU type formula for R/O water. Once a month, I skip fertilizer and flush all pots with pure R/O water with a little epsom salts added.

Probably the biggest secret to growing and blooming henryanum is to get the right plant. I have some multi growth plants that are difficult to bloom and others that bloom regularly. I also have a few that don't grow well at all and are still small one or two growth plants. They may end up in compost, soon. Growing in the house, I have very little room for under performers.
WOW! Ok, thanks for the insight. I probably will not try indoor culture (too much other stuff going on). I will just have to increase the number of henrys I have!

.....Probably the biggest secret to growing and blooming henryanum is to get the right plant. I have some multi growth plants that are difficult to bloom and others that bloom regularly.....
...:confused: and how would one know what is the right plant? I bought one from Fox Valley last summer, end of July & it was 2 growths, one appeared to be in bud. Well ...... it wasn't a bud, it was a leaf! :( Right now it's definitely in bud! :clap: I have another henry, 4 growths, 2 are in spike! :clap: This will be 1st time blooms for both plants. Did they just need to mature, they were both 2 growth when I got them? Did they need different conditions? Did they need acclimate to mine? I have a GH, so all plants get night time drops rather they like it or not!

...:confused: and how would one know what is the right plant? I bought one from Fox Valley last summer, end of July & it was 2 growths, one appeared to be in bud. Well ...... it wasn't a bud, it was a leaf! :( Right now it's definitely in bud! :clap: I have another henry, 4 growths, 2 are in spike! :clap: This will be 1st time blooms for both plants. Did they just need to mature, they were both 2 growth when I got them? Did they need different conditions? Did they need acclimate to mine? I have a GH, so all plants get night time drops rather they like it or not!

Getting "the right plant" is just luck. Some patience is required, also, as no henryanum blooms the same, as you illustrate with your two, Rose.:) I think that as species are line bred, they also become easier to bloom.

These henrys are really nice -- and thanks for the cultural info, and insight regarding the "right plant." That can explain a lot of thinks.

Funny....the only henryanum I was ever able to bloom was a collected plant, bought from Richard Topper when he first sold it in 1987. Didn't bloom every year, but it did bloom in its years alive with me. No other henryanum has even spiked for me..................Eric

Funny....the only henryanum I was ever able to bloom was a collected plant, bought from Richard Topper when he first sold it in 1987. Didn't bloom every year, but it did bloom in its years alive with me. No other henryanum has even spiked for me..................Eric

:-( BUMMER!

Getting "the right plant" is just luck. Some patience is required, also, as no henryanum blooms the same, as you illustrate with your two, Rose.:) I think that as species are line bred, they also become easier to bloom.

Looks like I'll have to wait til next year to see if either one blooms BUT ...... would it be luck or I have the right conditions? :confused: Hopefully some of both! ;)
I also have a charlesworthii in spike, I'll be VERY tempted in making a cross - Doll's Kobold is a favorite of mine & not very easy to find.

Nice henryanums. :clap::clap::clap:

I have one in bloom right now and will try to get a pic. tonight if I get off in time. As will be seen, when I get the pic. posted, mine is much darker in color.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to the length of time it takes between comm pot size and blooming size for a henryanum? Just roughly...

Joanne

Back