A couple fall blooming terrestrials

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Here they are, two natural hybrids:

Pterostylis x furcillata

PterostylisFurcillataCLUP.jpg

Pleione x lagenaria:

PxLagenaria.jpg

The ones in the top picture are neat looking. With their "helmets" and up raised petals I thought of an army surrendering or maybe aliens.

I like the striped & frilly lip on the bloom in the bottom picture.

Pterostylis really are interesting flowers, and in my limited experience are some of the easiest terrestrial orchids to grow. The pictured plant started out as one tuber two years ago - now there are over 30 growths in the pot and almost everyone has a flower. Admittedly this one has been the best grower for me, but others such as P. nutans and P. Nodding Grace increase almost as fast. It is a mystery why they aren't more popular in the states.

Thanx for posting, especially the Pterostylis. Unusual to see them outside Australia, do you have access to corybas also!?

Eric, actually in Europe and Japan these are available, it is only the US where they seem scarce. Yes, Corybas can be found here, but are more uncommon. They are quite a bit more fussy than the Pterostylis due to their tiny size.

Here's a new species I started growing last year right around Halloween:

TerriblePterostylis.jpg

Pterostylis are AWESOME!!!:drool: What are the parents of the natural hybrid you posted? I had one years ago - a Pterostylis Dunkle x baptistii. It did bloom for me, but then I lost it. I want to try again, but can't find a source. I got the first one from Brookside. Actually, I'd take any Aussie native terrestrial (also NZ). The flora from that part of the world is just amazing. Could you post a full plant pic please?

Pterostylis are AWESOME!!!:drool: What are the parents of the natural hybrid you posted? I had one years ago - a Pterostylis Dunkle x baptistii. It did bloom for me, but then I lost it. I want to try again, but can't find a source. I got the first one from Brookside. Actually, I'd take any Aussie native terrestrial (also NZ). The flora from that part of the world is just amazing. Could you post a full plant pic please?

The cross is P. ophioglossia x P. alveata. Here is the whole pot:

PterostylisFurcillataWHPL.jpg

Cool! Thanks. Lots of variation in height there! From your experience, is it completely random how tall the plant will get? Yours here are all divisions of the same plant (i.e. clones), so that would lead me to believe that perhaps it is cultural? They are growing so close together, that is must be random.

What do you have them potted in?

Hilarious!
THanx for the info, now when you ship the pterostylis here make sure you hide them inside the hangianums so the inspectors don't find them! :crazy:

Cool! Thanks. Lots of variation in height there! From your experience, is it completely random how tall the plant will get? Yours here are all divisions of the same plant (i.e. clones), so that would lead me to believe that perhaps it is cultural? They are growing so close together, that is must be random.

What do you have them potted in?

Let's see: the size of the plant is dependent on the size of the bulb it grows from, of course culture plays a role, but these should be all getting the same culture, I planted them that close together, and finally, I use a 50:50 mix of organic material to inorganic. These guys like humusy sand, so that seems to work well - I like to put in a bit of fine charcoal and some coarse inorganic material such as perlite. In the past I grew them in a more inorganic substrate and I don't think they liked that so much. They tend to be pretty heavy feeders as far as terrestrials go. I suspect that really tall one is in fact from the original bulb I got, but I can't say for sure.

Eric, honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about!

Oh, here is a shot from last fall so you can see how much it grew last winter:

PtFurcillata07.jpg

Fantastic displays on both plants!!! I like the vampire frog, too...hehe!!!!! Tom, how do you treat your Pleione during summer??? Thanks

Latest posts

Back