40F will break your heart

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baodai

Reaction score
This is what 40F for a night can do to your jackii :sob:, big lesson to learn ... it is all NYEric fault
BD

Attachments

• Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Picture 077.jpg
    Picture 077.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Picture 085.jpg
    Picture 085.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 94
  • Picture 089.jpg
    Picture 089.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 93
That just sucks, but it beats the hell out of a total freeze wipe-out.

That's also why a temperature alarm is important.

In case anybody else is in the same boat as me, I have devised a very reliable RF GH temperature alarm retrofit kit with a wireless range of up to 1000 feet.

It is designed to replace a wired sensor on an existing alarm system or Sensaphone, rather than coughing up almost $1400 for the wireless Sensaphone 2800. (I'm working on a complete alarm system, but that was of immediate need for me.)

More info in the "Miscellaneous" section at our website.

Uh...I don't get it? are you saying that the 40 degree nights caused it to bloom? Or that there is cold damage?! I can't tell cuz your pictures are a bit small. It looks like it is blooming well!
Pete

Uh...I don't get it? are you saying that the 40 degree nights caused it to bloom? Or that there is cold damage?! I can't tell cuz your pictures are a bit small. It looks like it is blooming well!
Pete

I think there is some cold burn on the buds but they should still bloom.

The one bud looks brown but the others look like they might have a chance. Doesn't jackii come from an area that has 35-40 degree winter nights?

they do come from a cool area but they can probably only stand those low temperatures if they are used to that type of environment. they will probably blast.

I think they need the cold to bloom, though it is better when it's a gradual, natural progression. BGH (before greenhouse), when I 'summered' my orchids outdoors, I left most of them out into the 40's, phals well below 50 did fine and bloomed normally, but they were gradually hardened off and used to it.

And if you don't think 40 is that cold, do it to a vanda.

Too bad. You wait so long for a bud to form, for the spike to grow and form buds, and then a temperature shock! Discouraging, but as others have said, the plant looks very good, and maybe the next flowering will be even stronger.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have my malipoense outside with two buds on it but it hasn't gotten quite that cold yet. Its stayed out there because I'm afraid if I bring it inside the change in temp and humidity might blast it. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Interesting...the only cold damage I have ever seen in a paph, several years ago, was on a hirsutissimum...and the temps only dropped to 40...maybe high 30's. A Masd. veitchiana was also damaged...but a warm growing Miltonia was totally unharmed. Tennis- I routinely keep my Vandas outdoors until temps reach the 40's..with no damage at all. But these are the ones with coerulea background. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back