3 more Phrag. kovachii's!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

More and more kovachii's are coming into bloom for us. Below are 3 from 3 different crosses that I thought I would show, to show some of the variation within this species.

The fist is Phrag. kovachii 'Corupuna' (named after a mountain in Peru). It is a cross between 'Maximus' and 'Goliath':

PhragkovachiiCorupunaMaximusxGoliath3612.jpg

Close up of the pouch:
PhragkovachiiCorupuna-pouch-3612.jpg

The second one is Phrag. kovachii 'Yerupaja' (named after another mountain in Peru). It is a cross between 'Tupac Amaru' and 'Maximus'. This particular plant had 2 flowers spikes with 2 flowers open at the same time. This particular clone had one of the lightest flowers that I have seen thus far. Also the flower spike itself was very "green" and did not have much pigments. I decided to self it, to hopefully get even lighter flowers, and who knows eventually albino kovachii's?

The whole plant:
PhragkovachiiYerupaja-plant-3612.jpg

2 Flowers:
PhragkovachiiYerupaja2flowers3612.jpg

Close up of one flower:
PhragkovachiiYerupajaTupacAmaruxMaximus3612.jpg

Pouch (notice it is a lot lighter in color compared to the pouch of 'Corupina':
PhragkovachiiYerupaja-pouch-3612.jpg

And last, Phrag. kovachii 'Tamagochi'. This particular plant had a flower spike with 3 flower buds! It is a cross between 'Goliath' and 'Jewel'.

PhragkovachiiTamagochiGoliathxJewel3612.jpg

PhragkovachiiTamagochi3Buds3612.jpg

Robert

And again I'm silenced, say nothing, gaping and enjoying these wonderfull blooms.

Ik ben sprakeloos Robert!

Bedankt Marc!

Have Phrag. kovachii's made it to the Netherlands yet?

Robert

Bedankt Marc!

Have Phrag. kovachii's made it to the Netherlands yet?

Robert

Koos Wubben has some for sale but these are still small plants that should take 4 years to reach blooming size. I've also seen kovachii offered by Popow on his Ebay site.

I expect the market in Europe to be flooded within 5 to 10 years and prices for NBS kovachii's close to what we pay for BNS besseae's now.

Is it just me but It seems the shapes of newer kovachii flowers are better and better? Very nice flowers Robert. :drool:

Mickey Mouse convention....:poke:

It's funny that since EYOF had these plants before anyone that they aren't all over the place in Europe..:confused:

Wow....i have also 1 Maximus x Goliath spikeing now...plant from flask at Dijon WOC....hope will be as nice as yours...My plant already aborted once,and so put in Ebb-flood and seems going much much better...

I like them all hopefully prices come down and I can get some in a few years

I think it will happen, at least as far as Europe is concerned I get the idea that each and every blooming kovachii is used to produce selflings or hybrids.

Latest posts

Back