2009 Santa Barbara International Orchid Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

neo-guy

Here are fresh pictures from the show, taken on judging day before the crowds!
The theme this year was "Orchid Escape", and you could really escape in this grand show. There were lots of beautiful Cymbidiums and other orchids. One of the highlights was a display by SBOE of all Australian Dendrobiums, both species and hybrids, almost all of them specimens.

3371387287_12fd7df482.jpg

Many wonderful pendulous cymbidiums:

3372067429_84cce91384.jpg

and a very unusual fully perfect peloric Phalenopsis:

3371466259_70329c8f3a.jpg

You can see the complete set of photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets/72157615612828275/

Enjoy!

Peter T.

Thank you, Peter. Santa Barbara is so close yet so far away. Thank you for letting me see the show virtually. :)

Great pics, those aussie dens sure are amazing! (meanwhile I am waiting on the one spike on my kingianum to open!)
I have also never seen pendulous cymbidiums like that. Is is a species that grows naturally like that or is it just how they have guided the spike?

Very cool! Thanks for posting 'em.

The pendulous Cymbidiums are bred that way using pendulous species like Cym. devonianum. They are extremely popular out here in California. They are a pain for commercial growers as they need more space than upright varieties, and can be troublesome to ship or transport. They can be really spectacular though!
Peter T.

Just got home from Santa Barbara and got stuck over the pass for 4 hours.

I will post my pictures soon.

Ramon:)

Well i would have given a quality award like a low HCC/AOS. Other members of the team were thinking a JC for the peloric quality. I felt the peloric nature was so symmetrical it was deserving of a quality award! The plant was very small, only about 5" wide, with 2 spikes and about 9 flowers.
Peter T.

Ramon! sorry to hear of the long stay on the pass! Was there an accident or is 4 hours normal?!
Peter T.

There was an accident plus heavy snow! It usually takes only 2 hours from Sacramento.

Ramon:)

:clap: :clap: Fabulous! Thanks for posting! I'm not sure what it was - the big plant with the bare canes with leaves & flowers at the end? How unique! The cyms were outstanding! and the peloric phal!

Latest posts

Back