Hello All!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pouchman

:)

Hi there..... Serious addict, have been in orchids since 1982....
I have killed enough orchids to be considered an "expert" (I use this word very loosely... ) flowered enough to be considered contagious to my fellow orchidists....Can't pass up most slippers..... love the weird stuff,,, like cutting edge hybrids...
I grow about 1500 or so plants.... presently in the process of building a new greenhouse, if I can afford to heat it, will be about 18 x 50....
sort of eclectic collection, but about half is slippers, the other half is lycaste, phals,cats and whatever I manage not to kill....

:clap::clap::clap:

Live in Virginia,, and the Va orchid society had their october meeting today... we had Ernie come out to speak.... Gotta say, sometimes you wonder how people are selected to be speakers at meetings, but we nailed it this time!!! Very eloquent speaker... great personality and highly reccomeded to any group looking for a speaker. Loved his overview on slippers, and he kept it bright and interesting for all levels of growers...

I am seriously thinking on trying to heat my new greenhouse with solar,,, or at least passive solar... anyone had any experience in this area??

good growing to all...

ds.

WELCOME POUCHMAN! 18 x 50 ! :drool:
What kind of winter daytime highs/night time lows do you have in VA? Here in the midwest we can have ALOT of gray, dreary overcast winter days which makes one reconsider a solar option, I love the idea, though. The black bags filled with water is about the only passive option I'm aware of & don't know anyone who's tried it.

Welcom Pouchman!!! This is a great group. I am also fairly new and they dont make fun of me too much :poke:
Enjoy. You will find tons of information here and meet some great people

Welcome, pouchman! You've made many of us jealous already, with talk of an 18 x 50 greenhouse plus a collection of 1500 plants. It must always be really pretty around your place.

BTW, I totally agree about Ernie. I also heard lots of compliments about his talk from our society members.

welcome from Luxembourg, and thanks! 1 500 makes really a lot to care for, but enough to show us a lot of good pictures, too :):) ! Jean

Hey there DS! Good to see you here! Yeah, you have your slipper ducks in a row. :) Shoot, instead of building a new green house, just put insulation and lights in that massive van of yours and just drive them around with you. :) Cheers!

-Ernie

Oh, we only make fun if you can only take blurry photos like NYEric. :poke:

:eek: Wow!
Welcome from NYC, ds.
All greenhouses use solar heat. If you're looking for a heat sink just paint the floors black or put a black cover over something of sufficient mass to tranfer heat back out slowly, pile of sand, watertank, etc.. What part of Va are you in?

Last edited:
Sorry it's one of those nights and I gotta say this. With 1500 orchids he is in d_ _ p s _ _ t.:poke: Hello ds.

Latest posts

Back