My new ''hot box''

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone

Reaction score
I'm half way through building a greenhouse in greenhouse for over-wintering the seedlings and various warm growers. Whadayouthink?
All need now is a couple of front doors, a heater, some lights and a fan:D

Size is 2.4mt x 1.9mt x 0.5mt

Great project Mike.
Why inside the other house and not free standing?
Could you have used 'hot' mats on the standard benches?
How will you heat it and regulate the temperature?

I want to keep this at 20-22 min. So inside I will only have to raise the temp a further 5-7C without running the heater to the brink of collapse! (and save a bit on the ever rising electricity bills).
I'm going to try an old oil heater with a thermostat first and see how that stands up to the humidity. Heat mats are an option too but I want the leaves at the high temps as well. I'm going to try some Phalies on slabs in there as well

Your plants are going to be 'hot box'n it'... Huh :poke:

Looks like a great project! I had thought about something like this but for cool growers if I ever get to build a greenhouse. I have no problem cooking plants... Even in the winter. Instead I have to resort to terrariums...

Looks good. Though you would get better heat retention using thick wood, or 15mm glass (less so with glass), than the sheeting you use, and combined with lighting. A cheap alternative insulation is Styrofoam sheeting (1 inch).

What I fear you will find with this is that the heater will have to work hard, not heat effectively, and you will use more power to achieve the result you want. If you went with wood, a good LED (you can get some really powerful ones for planted thanks that have the right kelvin range at aquarium shops), and a heater it will be more energy efficient and stay warmer.

A passive heat source like a big vessel of water with a large aquarium heater will only heat to 40c from memory, and will not give you much boost to ambient temps.. I read that they only boost temps a few degrees over the outside temps. Its rather similar in effect to the greenhouse tube heaters that you can buy.

Brett

Another way you could heat more passively is to install a radiator inside at the top of the box, and pump heated water through it from a source of heated water outside the box. The fan blowing air through the radiator will heat and the heat will be less drying than heat from an air heater. It will also provide air circulation at the same time.

If you are on facebook, check these links to my group on wardian cases. The later two links on a cooling method with a radiator fan, but you could easily reverse it with heated water as I plan to do once it gets cold enough here.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151560358494084&set=o.301381213230652&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.452772924758146&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.454214581280647&type=1

I'm pretty sure as long as its sealed well and with a barrier to keep passive cool from coming up from the floor. It should work fine.

I'm pretty sure as long as its sealed well and with a barrier to keep passive cool from coming up from the floor. It should work fine.

It will be totally sealed all the way from the floor. The heater is going on the floor under the main bench. Warm will rise to the top and be circulated with a fan. Given the small area it should heat up ok?

Though you would get better heat retention using thick wood, or 15mm glass (less so with glass), than the sheeting you use
I was going to use twin-wall polycarbonate as cladding for the whole thing until I saw the price! Good insulating properties but at $120 per sheet it would have cost $700!:eek:......... %^$# that! So I'm just using 2 sheets for the front.

if you dont mind the look - use 2 layers of bubble wrap on the outside walls for added insulation.
would 2 be necessary? (It's a box within a box....) Why on the outside rather than the inside?
I think bubblewrap has been my best investment.

Latest posts

Back