Some in situ photographs - barbata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eggshells, I am not sure of the blooming season. I think barbatum main flowering season has been reported as between May-August, but mine flower anytime throughout the year. Hookerae and volonteanum are reported to flower whole year round too.

Stone, you can just go to flickr and search 'paphiopedilum barbatum' or hookerae..

Much of what may be grasses looks more like rushes and sedges too me.

Definitely drippy, mossy seeps for the hookerae/volunteanum habitats.

How do they keep the roots on them with that constant water:poke::poke:

Much of what may be grasses looks more like rushes and sedges too me.

Definitely drippy, mossy seeps for the hookerae/volunteanum habitats.

How do they keep the roots on them with that constant water:poke::poke:

Perhaps its the pure, clean, oxygenated water that moves over them all the time. Not the stangnant conditions we sometimes create in pots.

Perhaps its the pure, clean, oxygenated water that moves over them all the time. Not the stangnant conditions we sometimes create in pots.

Add salty to stagnant and you see what I see.:clap:

I've been monitoring water quality in artificial wetlands for some years now. In some cases these are purposeful "treatment" cells. Nutrients go in, but don't come out.

You can sometimes see the shifts in plant quality/species as a gradient from the high concentration side to the output end. Piles of blue green or filamentous algae at the inlet end. Macrophytes ferns and mosses at the output end.

Thanks for the pics. What's growing with the hookerae? It looks like some type of pleurothallid. Maybe dendrochillum?

I don't believe there are any Pleurothallids outside of the New World. I did see something that looked like rambling Bulbophylum. And something else that was kind of Dendrobium-ish

Latest posts

Back