Paph stonei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paphman910

Reaction score
Been a long haul growing this plant for 4 years from a 7 inch leafspan seedling. Currently has 5 buds and 3 are opened. Still waiting for the other 2 to open up.

stonei01_20120622_cropped.jpg

The whole spike!
stonei01_20120622_whole_spike.jpg

Enjoy!

Paphman910

Last edited:
Great growing and nice clone you've got there. Nice color contrast. Love stonei almost just as much as roths...

That's a great result and well worth the wait. Hopefully future blooms will come earlier for you. :clap:

Gary
UK

That's a great result and well worth the wait. Hopefully future blooms will come earlier for you. :clap:

Gary
UK

Thanks for the compliments Gary and etc. This plant has 6 growths and I hope in the future it can have more than one spike! It is the most vigorous mulitfloral species I have ever grown! It is now 36 inch leafspan with 2.75 inch width!

Paphman910

I thought for sure that when the photo loaded (I'm on dial-up), it was not going to be a pure stonei because 5 flowers on one stem is so rare. However, it is a pure stonei and you should be very proud of your cultural achievement. I've only heard of a 5 flowers on one stem (on a stonei), once before in over 30 years of growing. Usually they have 3 or 4; but, almost never 5 flowers.

I thought for sure that when the photo loaded (I'm on dial-up), it was not going to be a pure stonei because 5 flowers on one stem is so rare. However, it is a pure stonei and you should be very proud of your cultural achievement. I've only heard of a 5 flowers on one stem (on a stonei), once before in over 30 years of growing. Usually they have 3 or 4; but, almost never 5 flowers.

Thanks John!

I had doubts about it being a real stonei before it opened because of it's size and number of flowers! My judge friend is probably going to drool when he sees it!

PS Your Cattleya walkeriana seedlings are growing well!

Paphman910

:clap: Very impressive growing :clap: !!!!

I have one for about 2 years now (bought as nfs), and it still did not even decide for a 2nd growth :eek:! Jean

Paphman has been giving me almost daily updates on this blooming.

This is really an incredible stonei blooming:clap::clap::clap:

Awesome stonei blooming! I love it...

I thought for sure that when the photo loaded (I'm on dial-up), it was not going to be a pure stonei because 5 flowers on one stem is so rare.

I remember from a previous thread, Roth mentioned that these stonei with high flower counts come from a specific colony.. I have seen pictures of other stonei from local growers with 4-5 flowers..

That is an incredible clone! Any history on the parents? Where did you get it?

Thanks! I got it from Orchid Inn 4 years ago:

Paph stonei 'Prancer' x 'Hummugus'

I emailed Terry Root about this cross and he has not heard of the clone 'Prancer' but he may have given pollen of 'Hummungus' away.

Then I emailed Sam and asked where he got them from and he said he doesn't know!!!!:mad:

The thing I didn't like about this plant is the pastel color of the pouch! I wish the pouch was dark like goldenrose's stonei.

Paphman910

Back