My 2 neo's, TY enablers!!!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marc

As you guys might have read the topic allready about the nursery that I visited this morning you know that I spend my money on something.

All the posts about neo's here the last weeks / months really got me excited and interested in this species. This morning I had the oppurtunity to buy two.

I decided to pot them the traditionial way and allthough I don't have any AAAA moss available to me I'm pleased with the result. I might add some extra moss here and there because on the pictures some roots are still visible. Any tips regarding culture are more then welcome.

This is the bigger of the two, it is allready forming two new growths. This should be a Neo with a white flowers. There isn't any aditional name on the label so we'll see how things turn out.
IMG_1022.jpg

This is the 2nd plant I bought, again no Japanese or Korean name, this should be a Neo with a pink flower.
IMG_1023.jpg

Welcome in the club! :evil:
Nice plants you got there.
Just let them get dry in between waterings, good airflow and a good amount of light.

Both look very healthy and very nice indeed! :wink:

I would reiterate what Wendelin stated: Let them dry in between waterings, good airflow and a good amount of light.

Don't concern yourself too much with filling in the moss here and there to cover the roots. Air is just as important as moisture. The roots will grow anyway -- some under the moss, some down into the moss, and some down over the moss. Some may even grow horizontally into the air. You may train these downward somewhat for aestheticism, but it is not essential for the health of the plants. :)

Enjoy your new Neos! :clap:

Did some googling and if I'm not mistaken the term to be traditionaly used for these Neo's is Fuuran as they are not named and are probably standard forms?

Yes, unnamed standard forms of Neofinetia falcata are Fuuran. It will be interesting to see how much pink coloration is actually present in the flowers of the one plant.

A couple of things I noticed about your plants right away, which I found to be very nice and also very telling of this species, are the differences in form and coloration. One plant's leaves grow much more horizontally with more of a downward curve than the other's leaves which display more of an upright attitude. The plant with the more horizontal leaves also seems to have brighter leaf tips and appears to be a lighter shade of green overall.

Yes the form and colour difference is easily seen.

I was told that the Neo that's supposed to flower pink was an import from either Thailand or Taiwan. Mixing them up at the moment, I'll ask when I'm there again which of the two is the country of originin and if there was any additional info on the flask.

Yes the form and colour difference is easily seen.

I was told that the Neo that's supposed to flower pink was an import from either Thailand or Taiwan. Mixing them up at the moment, I'll ask when I'm there again which of the two is the country of originin and if there was any additional info on the flask.

Good idea! :) I'd recommend buying more plants too, when you visit there again. :p :wink:

Good idea! :) I'd recommend buying more plants too, when you visit there again. :p :wink:

These were the only types of Neo they had available, plenty of young paphs though but I'd rather have the nursery grow them for 1-2 years.

Being a windowsill grower I prefer a bit more established plants, I have a couple of young single growth plants but the difference in growth with established plants is very noticeable.

And if I ever really wanted to get into Fuukiran I would end up ordering from abroad anyway. I know of no adresses on mainland europe that sell Fuukiran. Britain is an option and the rest is ordering from the US and / or Asia.

I've read though that a Fuukiran dealer from the US goes to Europe now and then and arranges for his plants to be shipped from the UK.

That is basically how it’s done. For the average 12,95 dealer in Europe Neos are not of any consideration. How could they? A plant on the greenhouse table needs to be out'the door within 2-3 weeks... So Fuukrian is simply not their material. And honestly: how many 50 Euro plants can you sell these days in Europe, let alone the rare stuff?!

5971266118_081d61b45b_z.jpg

That is basically how it’s done. For the average 12,95 dealer in Europe Neos are not of any consideration. How could they? A plant on the greenhouse table needs to be out'the door within 2-3 weeks... So Fuukrian is simply not their material. And honestly: how many 50 Euro plants can you sell these days in Europe, let alone the rare stuff?!

5971266118_081d61b45b_z.jpg

Junihitoe / Sipidan :drool:

That's how it is, the nursery's need to pay their employees and need to have bread on their own table. Plants costing 50,- euros or even more then that are costly plants with a low turnover. And you could even consider them to be "high risk" investments as most nurseries don't have the capacity to take care of such costly plants. It would be nice if there would be more available over here, but I understand why there are none.

And if I ever really wanted to get into Fuukiran I would end up ordering from abroad anyway. I know of no adresses on mainland europe that sell Fuukiran. Britain is an option and the rest is ordering from the US and / or Asia.

I've read though that a Fuukiran dealer from the US goes to Europe now and then and arranges for his plants to be shipped from the UK.

Yes, but I don't know how much longer Glenn will be doing this. :confused:

That's how it is, the nursery's need to pay their employees and need to have bread on their own table. Plants costing 50,- euros or even more then that are costly plants with a low turnover. And you could even consider them to be "high risk" investments as most nurseries don't have the capacity to take care of such costly plants. It would be nice if there would be more available over here, but I understand why there are none.

Yes, unfortunately this is still a very expensive hobby. A relatively small number of us have been fortunate enough to build nice collections, but the economy has been detrimental for those without the means to fully engage in this addiction. :(

@Lanmark: It really isn't just that! It's more: that the normal European grower is about 70 years of age (no judging on that one) and DOES NOT SPEAK ENGLISH OR INTERNET!!!
If they'd do either: things would be much different. You go on and tell any normal (not us-like) orchideot in Europe about Fuukiran.... and They'd go "you whaaat???". even if they had 50 years of orchid know-how. This hype JUST HAS NOT CROSSED THEM YET! If if had: Glenn would not be thinking about collecting stamps and knitting!

@Lanmark: It really isn't just that! It's more: that the normal European grower is about 70 years of age (no judging on that one) and DOES NOT SPEAK ENGLISH OR INTERNET!!!
If they'd do either: things would be much different. You go on and tell any normal (not us-like) orchideot in Europe about Fuukiran.... and They'd go "you whaaat???". even if the had 50 years of orchid know-how. This hype JUST HAS NOT CROSSED THEM YET! If if had: Glenn would not be thinking about collecting stamps and knitting!

You have a very valid point here John Boy. As most of you allready know I grew up in a family were Orchids were all around me during my childhood but if that wouldn't have been the case I can hardly imagine that I would be involved in Orchids.

Yesterday I visited the 100th year anniversary of Orchideen Lucke in Germany, what you say was proven again. Most of the guests were people of my parents age or older. I'm 31 years old since last may and I think that I together with my brother was one of the few people there below 40 with a genuine interest in Orchids.

When visiting exhibitions of societies or nurseries in general this view is proven again and again and it's even something that is discussed but no one knows how to attract younger members.

If they'd do either: things would be much different. You go on and tell any normal (not us-like) orchideot in Europe about Fuukiran.... and They'd go "you whaaat???". even if the had 50 years of orchid know-how. This hype JUST HAS NOT CROSSED THEM YET! If if had: Glenn would not be thinking about collecting stamps and knitting!

Life has not been particularly kind to Glenn over the past couple of years :( but yes, the problem in Europe is mostly due to the fact that the craze/hype has not yet hit there.

Also, other factors are at play, as John Boy and Marc have already pointed out: Plant sellers are reluctant to invest in high-priced Neo plants with currently-slow turnover rates. There's also the question of how to engage the younger generations' interest in orchid-growing. :)

Latest posts

Back