Grand Champion of Show Paph. malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quietaustralian

Reaction score
The Royal Adelaide Show would be the major show in South Australia. It was great to see a Paph take the ribbon for Grand Champion of show. The plant isn’t mine but I thought you guys might be interested in seeing the pic. The plant was labelled as Paph. malipoense but I thought it was Norito Hasegawa. A lovely flower.
Regards, Mick

Attachments

• Paph.jpg
    Paph.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 222
I believe its malponese,But as for Grand Champion of show with just one flower at a ribbion judging ?I have seen these plants with 15 too 20 Blooms on them ,Just sayin

I believe its malponese,But as for Grand Champion of show with just one flower at a ribbion judging ?I have seen these plants with 15 too 20 Blooms on them ,Just sayin

to me, the petals and the shape just make me think it's not.

p.s. welcome to slippertalk

it is most likely a P. Norito Hasegawa. the segments are all very nice and full and the color is very nice. did it receive a quality award?

Who's to say the plant doesn't have 15 or 20 flowers? I can only see a closeup of a single flower. If you have any photos of these large maliopoense, I'd love to see them.

In anycase, in Australia most of the emphasis is on flower quality rather than flower count. A plant doesn't need to be a specimen to be eligible for grand champion. A lot of flowers may help giving a plant a "WOW" factor or get a plant over the line in a close call, but it won't beat a single flowered plant with a superior flower.

David

It certainly looks like NH! Nice flower, but it shouldn't have been awarded as a malipoense.

Welcome to Slippertalk, quietaustralian and Donw!

Hi... quietaustralian, are you from Adelaide..? I've just been to the show and I saw this plant, which belongs to a couple of very good growers in my society. The plant carried a single large flower. I guess flower quality is more emphasised in judging compared to quantity, as there were several cool-growing paphs (insigne, villosum) with more flowers but this one got first prize.. Plus parvis (and paphs in general) are pretty hard to come by as opposed to cyms and native dends...

Hi... quietaustralian, are you from Adelaide..? I've just been to the show and I saw this plant, which belongs to a couple of very good growers in my society. The plant carried a single large flower. I guess flower quality is more emphasised in judging compared to quantity, as there were several cool-growing paphs (insigne, villosum) with more flowers but this one got first prize.. Plus parvis (and paphs in general) are pretty hard to come by as opposed to cyms and native dends...

As paphioboy said, the plant carried a single bloom and in my opinion a very nice one at that. Good Norito Hasegawas are far and few between and believe this one is very good. Yes paphioboy I’m in South Australia for a few more weeks. When I read in one of your posts that you were in Adelaide, I asked about you at a couple of meetings but as I didn’t have your real name, no one knew who I was talking about. PM me the club you’re a member of in SA.

Who's to say the plant doesn't have 15 or 20 flowers? I can only see a closeup of a single flower. If you have any photos of these large maliopoense, I'd love to see them.

In anycase, in Australia most of the emphasis is on flower quality rather than flower count. A plant doesn't need to be a specimen to be eligible for grand champion. A lot of flowers may help giving a plant a "WOW" factor or get a plant over the line in a close call, but it won't beat a single flowered plant with a superior flower.

David

I agree with David in regard to flower quality over quantity. I have seen specimen size plants with mediocre flowers take the ribbon over stunning single bloom plants. Specimen plants are surely an indication of the growers ability and doesn’t relate to quality of blooms.
On a couple of occasions in Asia I have seen stunning specimen size plants that on closer inspection seemed to be different clones potted together. Nice one if you can get away with it. I’d also like to see some pics of malipoense or NH with 15-20 flowers, that would be a sight to see.

it is most likely a P. Norito Hasegawa. the segments are all very nice and full and the color is very nice. did it receive a quality award?

More than colour the staminode was the thing that struck me. I’ve seen a lot of variability in the colour and shape of malipoense but one thing that I don’t see much variability in is that solid blob of colour on the stami. Colour of pic is very close to actual flower. I don’t know if it was awarded or not. I think the plant deserved to win but if awarded will receive award as type. The pic was taken 7 days after the judging.

In summary a nice Paph took the prize

Latest posts

Back