Does Eric branch?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

No not NYEric! My Eric Young is branching!
I got the plant 7/07, it had 1 previous bloomed growth & 2 new.
8/08 it bloomed, 2 sesquential flowers. It's now in a 7 1/2" azalea pot, has 5 growths than span an easy 3 feet!
PhragEricYoung004.jpg

PhragEricYoung001.jpg

Yes, a very happy Eric Young branches. That's a spectacular flower! I've seen some truly horrible Eric Youngs over the years; but, one like this is what I always wanted. Congrats!

A real beauty. Do you have clonal names for the parents?
e-spice
There are no clonal names on the tag. It was an Acker breeding, I got in '07. It was one previous bloom growth & 2 new, it didn't do much for this individual selling it but for $10, I said give me that one too! It bloomed last summer with just 2 flowers, that were successive, so I'm surprised at it this year. A keeper, if it keeps this up!

There are no clonal names on the tag. It was an Acker breeding, I got in '07. It was one previous bloom growth & 2 new, it didn't do much for this individual selling it but for $10, I said give me that one too! It bloomed last summer with just 2 flowers, that were successive, so I'm surprised at it this year. A keeper, if it keeps this up!

Well that one has super color and very good form. Good job growing it.

e-spice

Update!

Four open flowers is the most it will hold at one time, another 3 buds!
EYLeftyKei003-1.jpg

Both parents of Phrag Eric Young (longifolium x besseae) branch when mature. The hybrids show even more vigor when they reach full maturity. Often we only see these plants with a few blooms when they are first or second bloom seedlings. I find that besseae in particular induces branching progeny when the plants get large, and more so with longifolium and/or lindleyanum (sargentianum) in the background.

Good Growing Rose,
Well grown besseae and all its hybrids will branch. So will longifolium, and the lindleyanum group of species. Their hybrids once they mature to a clump of growths will branch if they are getting enough light. I have on rare occasions seen Eric Young hybrids with 4 or more branches, so each branch would have one or two flowers open, making for a stunning display. Getting the first level of branching is a benchmark in good culture, pat yourself on the back, you are a good grower of Phrags.

Back