Paph. Rothschild's Wings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Paph. Rothschild's Wings is Paph. Fumimasa Sugiyama (=platyphyllum x sanderianum) x rothschildianum. In this clone the genes of Paph. sanderianum are very dominant:

PaphRothschildianumsWings9152009-1.jpg

PaphRothschildianumsWings-close-915.jpg

It is interesting but the first seedling that opened from this cross, looked very different, with more of a Paph. rothschildianum influence:

PaphFumimasaSugiyamaxrothschildi-1.jpg

Robert

From the parentage, I would expect the second example more than the first. As these hybrids become more complex, the variation will be expressed even more.

which also support those arguments regarding Phrag kovachii Hybrids, where the first blooming plant looks totally different than the second or third plant blooming :)

These Paphies could be also sold as two completelly different crosses...

(Are you sure you did not mess up the labels?:poke::poke::D)

There is always that possibility....human errors do happen. I guess we will know when we see more of them open.

Robert

ach nöööö... you are disappointing me!! :p Just kidding ;)

indeed, there is that possibility.. But I prefer the story with the large variability.... :evil:

Love the first one. The difference between the two are amazing. This demonstrates why people need to be careful when questioning the identification of secondary and complex hybrids. The amount of variation can be enormous. A small proportion will be dominated by one of the grandparents such as the first one. You would expect most of the cross to look more like the 2nd one.

David

:eek: OK I'll stick my neck out there & probably show some ignorance when it comes to breeding, but I would have expected the first one. I know roth has a dominance when it comes to breeding but I'm assuming that Fumimasa Sugiyama was the pod parent & therefore would like to assume it might have a little more influence? Has sand & platyphyllum been underrated as breeders? It will be interesting to see other sibs!

.... The difference between the two are amazing. This demonstrates why people need to be careful when questioning the identification of secondary and complex hybrids. The amount of variation can be enormous....

Indeed the differences between both siblings are amazing.
David, you took the words right out of my (mouth) keyboard. I's very hard, almost impossible to follow a breeding line backwards - greetings from Mendel's laws.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Phrag kovachii isn't as dominant a parent as many expected. It does add size and an hourglass shaped pouch, but the shape and color is entirely dependent on the other parent. A backcross to kovachii from the primary crosses will produce the most evident traits and probably the best results.

Latest posts

Back