Zygopetalum Debbie De Mello 'Honolulu Bay'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting tub you have her in.

Soft leaves orchids need a lot of water and constant moving air. Mine is in front of a light breeze 24-7, hiding in deep shade.

Thanks! There is another flower spike emerging from a different growth. Hopefully the spikes will overlap for a better show.

Soft leaves orchids need a lot of water and constant moving air. Mine is in front of a light breeze 24-7, hiding in deep shade.
It is right in path of the oscillating fan, and gets more light than needed but that does not appear to be a problem inside. outside it was in a pretty shady spot. If these spots don't work, I will leave Zygos alone for good... maybe ;)

The growing conditions you have (for 1 year) appear to be working nicely ----- so it should be ---- if this spot works, then leave the zygo alone for good ----- in that spot.

In my tropical conditions here ---- I grow my orchids semi-outdoors, under a balcony. My 'Honolulu Bay' grows in 100% scoria, as does my Spa. plicata ----- in 100% scoria. Somebody told me that the plicata shouldn't be grown in scoria - as plicata is a 'ground orchid'. And now, I think the plicata going to put out a flower spike soon. I grew it from a bulb during its dormancy.

I bought one of those from Walmart, and a 2nd one from Home Depot. Both were in need of some TLC, and thus far have survived my efforts. I'm just learning how to grow these. One even shows a white streak on a few of the leaves, but I don't know if that trait will continue show up in any of the new growth. Right now, I just want it to get a little larger, and re-bloom.

Last edited:
Beautiful dark flowers!
I love these dark purple flowers and their fragrance.
Regarding the spots, I can't stand them, so I don't grow these and Oncidiums.
Speaking of Oncidiums, I think the spots seem especially common on certain varieties of Zygo and Oncidiums.
Some rarely develop any spots. One NOID Zygo I had years ago from Trader Joe's had clean green leaves, but I believe it was an intergenric hybrid. Zygolum Louisendorf 'Rhein Moonlight' was my guess. Hyacinth-like fragrance and clean leaves, but flowers are not as pretty as yours. They were more like dark brown with green edge on the petals.

Latest posts

Back