Zygopetalum back bulbs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one can say for certain unless one sees the bulb. They could have any number of dormant vegetative eyes around the base. If they exist, and are viable, they should sprout.
I would pot it up into as small of a pot as possible. NO reason to go larger. If they sprout new growths, they will be just fine even if they are cramped by a small pot. After potting it up, keep the back bulb in a place of medium light. No need to water because there are no roots to utilize the water. The bulb may shrivel quite a bit but they should throw new leads. Those new leads should produce new roots right away. Then move it into a brighter location.
I use seedling bark, seedling charcoal and perlite as my media.

I haven't tried single backbulbs but I have had backbulbs still attached sprout new growth so there are definitely eyes present. Is there a particular reason you want to grow them from single bulbs rather than make your lead divisions and keep the backbulbs as a group?

That does not appear to me to be a Zygopetalum. Growth habit is not correct in my opinion.
It reminds a lot of Coelia bella.
It's definitely Zygopetalum mackayi. I got it in the 1960s from Paul Grip at Santa Barbara Orchid Estate. Paul collected the plant himself in Peru, so it is definitely true to type.

Attachments

• IMG_20240118_144647310.jpg
    IMG_20240118_144647310.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I haven't tried single backbulbs but I have had backbulbs still attached sprout new growth so there are definitely eyes present. Is there a particular reason you want to grow them from single bulbs rather than make your lead divisions and keep the backbulbs as a group?
No real reason not to plant clumps of bulbs if the clump will generate more than one growth shoot.
Basically I did not want to waste effort if single bulbs are known to be problematic.

Latest posts

Back