Your orchid is purple

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some Vandas are quite blue too... And I cannot say this plant has purple blooms, although we are far awaye from the blue of Blue Poppies...

Cleisocentron [Clctn.] merrillianum
stud30874.jpeg

Some Vandas are quite blue too... And I cannot say this plant has purple blooms, although we are far awaye from the blue of Blue Poppies...

Cleisocentron [Clctn.] merrillianum
This is an exception to the rule -- mine's in bloom now, and is a true powder blue. I think there is an Australian terrestrial that also has a truly blue flower.

Yes, some Thelymitra can rival the blue of blue poppy (Meconopsis) or any other blue flower you want to compare it to. But even most of our Ozzie friends have probably not seen Thelymitra in person. Cleisocentron is probably the best most of us could hope for.

I think that picture came out way too blue.
I have seen lots of "blue" vanda and they do have quite a bit of blue but they are all blue violet at most. Nowhere near real blue.

Some clones of Dendrobium victoria reginae have nice deep blue purple.
Come cattleyas and phalaenopsis blue purple, but not as good as Dendrobium Victoria reginae.

I do buy blue dyed phalaenopsis for fun in the summer just because I like it against the white wall and gives cool effect, but true blue orchids might be a bit freaky. lol

I'm happy with white, yellow, pink, purple, orange and everything in between. haha

I'm happy with white, yellow, pink, purple, orange and everything in between. haha

Reminds me that many gardeners are looking for purple or white forms of the true blue Himalayan poppy (Meconopsis betonicifolia). And many perennial larkspurs have almost perfect true blue flowers but we introducee true red color in the modern strains (not very succesfully in my opinion since they lack hardiness for our weather...). Even if true blue is rare in the flower world, human beings always want different stuff.

A few corrections:

Magenta is the true red, colorimetric wise, a magenta 50% is pink.
What people call red is red-orange (as we say in French, I don't know if there's a tech name for it in English)
The horticultural blue is usually some kind of violet. Purple is not clear enough in definition to be used.

Thelymitra aristata goes from blue to lilac/violet
Thelymitra variegata et pulcherrima rule, it's the psychedelic orchids !

Latest posts

Back