Yellow Tiger

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really nice Jim.

I assume when you got this plant latifolium and stonei were considered the same species. So either of these two crossed with praestans were classified as "Yellow Tiger's". Latifolium and stonei are now classified as separate species. The first "Yellow Tiger" was made with latifolium. So latifolium x praestans kept the name "Yellow Tiger" and stonei x praestans had to be renamed. So they must have renamed it Stone Praetorian. A stonei x praestans seedling I have has the name "Far City" although I have never heard that used. If orchidwhiz is saying Stone Praetorian then that is what it is.

Paph stonei var. latifolium is now called Paphiopedilum platyphyllum. So, Yellow Tiger is platyphyllum X praestans. Super nice example Jim.

I can see the traits of platyphyllum from the dorsal and of praestans from the petals and pouch. A nice example for the cross. This clone is also not nice.

I don't really see any platyphyllum on it. For one, the leaves of platyphyllum are very wide that even with a hint of praestans. It should still be wider than that. Second, dorsal have very bold stripes, while the platyphyllum have washed out stripes. Third, the colours (at least to my screen) are white while platyphyllum have yellowish tones and praestans is definitely yellow. So its hard to see that it is made with playtphyllum. More like stonei or stonei back cross.

So Jim with Eggshells reasoning, does your tag say "stonei X praestans" or just "Yellow Tiger"? If it says s X P then it would be the new name, Paph Stone Praetorian then.

I checked. Tag says stonei (platyphyllum) x praestans.

Then Yellow Tiger is correct then. I checked the photos of your plant and you are right. It does not differ greatly from 'Stone Praetorian' such as Jim's. I googled some more photos on these crosses as well. Assuming they are correctly labelled you would be hard pressed to accurately distinguish between these two hybrids in 100% of cases. I guess the potential variation in the praestans parent wouldn't help either.

Lovely blooms on a very well grown plant, congratulations. I agree with Eggshells, this has stonei character rather than platy.

That's because stonei is the parent rather than platyphyllum? :confused:

Latest posts

Back