Woods for mounting orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

Anyone used redwood for mounting orchids? I have a dawn redwood that did not survive last summer's drought and was wondering could I/should I? Most hardwoods are desirable but I can't say that I've heard of redwoods being used. I have birch & cedar which should be fine, my neighbor has an apple tree that could use pruning.

I'm using untreated cedar shakes.
I'm using them as well but some orchids are referred to as twig epiphytes so something they can wrap their roots around seem to make them happier.

:eek::eek: My husband just informed me that it is a larch....
hey I know my trees! :p

I thought I recalled something about a dawn redwood not being a true redwood.

Just don't use Hollywood, otherwise your orchids will end up in rehab and the paparatzi will never leave you alone... :drool:

Just don't use Hollywood, otherwise your orchids will end up in rehab and the paparatzi will never leave you alone... :drool:
^:rollhappy:^

I've got a giagantic cottonwood tree here with many, many inches of bark. I've thought of experimenting with mounting on some of the bigger chunks of bark that fall off. Anyone ever experiment with cottonwood or hackberry?

I've used Cottonwood on a couple of occasions. It seems to be pretty good. I once mounted a Staghorn Fern on a large piece - it loved it.

:rollhappy::rollhappy: no chance for that with me or where I live!

My babies arrived today! I have ready for them - birch, larch, cedar, juniper and a wood that has sooo much character - contorted hazelnut (aka. Harry Lauder's Walking Cane). I hope the plants like it, it's a gnarly one that will draw as much or maybe more interest than the plant!

Latest posts

Back