White fuzzy stuff growing in new medium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost certainly some kind of mold. May we see a picture? It causes slowed down nutrient uptake, because fungus can smoke lot of nitrients. However the main problem could be that the medium will store more water, than the plant requires, and mold blocks the air circulation through the roots. So the old roots will probably die and rot. Finally the plant growth is going to slow down. So the mold is detrimental IMO. Your new medium were stored under bad circumstances likely. I suggest, that only this individual plant should repot again, and care it a bit drier to kill the mold. That's worked for me several times. Kind regards: Matyas

Thanks ray!! Thats hopefull, my medium is broken brick, rock, perlite, charcoal and orchiata,found it in bellatulum pot, the plant itself is going into bloom with active roots, I hope it's beneficial I'd hate to have to repot now!!

Thats good to know, thanks lance, There is a huge new root growing out of the bottom of the rhizome, I use clear pots,

I have had Snow Mold before, but I use enough Physan these days I haven't seen it. I remember reading years ago a Peroxide mixture kills it. But if the plant isnt dead yet. I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Back