Which Organic Material in the mix ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jmateosky

Hi,

I do not really have any access to bark mix. I have lots of small stones volcanic, pumus, charcol and perlite. My question is what other items (specifically organic) Items would you all recomend? A very good grower here recomends decomposing leaves.

Thanks,
Jim

WELCOME Jim! We're always glad to help but we may need more info -
where is here?
we'd assume you have slippers but which ones? any other orchids?
growing conditions?

howdy

some people grow in entirely in types of stones and others have absolutely no luck with it.
some people say that you can grow anything in any media if you water it correct for that media. but how, is the big question...

Hello Jim.
Petco sells fir bark labelled as- reptile bedding.
Twenty bucks went a long way. Clark

I've just recently read Cribb's Paph book and for most of the habitats he reports the Paphs growing among leaf litter on trees or rock ledges or on the forest floor, so leaf litter may be a good idea. Of course, the rock ledges and forest floors were of limestone, so it would be best to work a little limestone/dolomite/shell grit into the mix.

Kind regards

Hello Jim and welcome to the forum!!

depending on your conditions and warering/fertilising, as others said, you can grow without organic material for epiphytic plants. For semiterrestrial you could try some small coconut chips since bark is not available there, but you could do a little more research! Some sphagnum could be good too, but depends on the species (acidophylic or not etc) Good luck!

There could be more help if you told us about what plants it's for:)

I'm also have some good results these days with chunky peat moss along with my more inert materials like lava rock or perlite.

With UPS or FedEx it seems like you should be able to get at least hobby quantities of bark or coconut husk sent to just about anywhere.

Where are you??

Back