Which Grande???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Bill Porter purchased a bunch of plants from a vendor going out of business. This Phrag was labelled longifolium. NOT!

It looks like Grande to me, but which one? Grande, or Wossner Super Grande? The foliage is not huge, as I would expect from Grande, but this flower is smaller than my Grande. It's really a nice flower, quite dark, as the photo shows.

What do the Phrag growers here think???

Phrag_whichGrandeC.jpg

Phrag_whichGrandeF.jpg

It looks too dark to me to be Phrag Grande. It might very well be a nice dark Wossner Supergrande. I'm including a couple of photos of two Phrag Wossner Supergrande that I have for comparison.

Even though there is a lot of variety with this hybrid, I think the clone on the left in the first photo has a pouch face very much like your flower.

wosssupa.png

wosssupbap.png

When I first look at this hybrid, I’ll say no it is not a Grande neither WSG…
It's a warszewiczii hybrid for sure (staminode and coloration) but the pouch is to short lacking all the F1 characteristic of the longifolium in it. No horns on the side of the pouch aperture, a very different pouch form and appearance.

It look like it’s having some sargentianum (or allies) influence somewhere in it for me… ( pouch form, inner pouch tessellation, petals projection and presentation, and the general appearance) ??? I'm doubting this is a primary (F1) hybrid….

Last edited:
I'm questioning the WSG ID as Jean-Pierre. Unless there is an explaination for the shape of the pouch with this blooming Dot, like heat stress. It doesn't have that primary look on this blooming for the WSG. Here is mine from earlier. Notice the appearence the Grande 'Monore' clone looks more like yours. I have no idea of the parents for the 'Monore' clone but it has been a round a long time.
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20836&highlight=Paige

I suspect there is a lot of heat stress expressing itself in this flower. Notice how short the inflorescence is, for example. And the flower is a bit small, IMO. I noticed the shape of the pouch, also -- rather slender. The greenhouse (Porter's) has been very hot this summer -- many days over 90ºF, and not really a lot of air circulation, one of the problems there, I think. He has ample shading, but with so much sun and heat, most of the Phrags are not blooming with normal size flowers. Again, my opinion.

I'll try to watch for the second flower, and see if there are any changes.

Back