When I thought I've seen it all !!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember a genetically engineered glow-in-the-dark Vanda several years ago.....

Eric,

maybe they did a Vanda , i wouldn't be surprised they have also done some Frankensteinian experiments
with all kinds of ornamental fish, nobody knows where they will stop.
for me the buck stops at selective breeding, line breeding and inter generic
hybridizing.
I don't want to make crosses like Cymbidium with Dendrobium
for me hybridizing is like painting you are limited by the colors you have on your paint pad,
maybe i'm old fashioned but I hope it will stay this way in Orchid breeding.
Eric by the way what are your preferred Orchids ?
you managed to clean up all the damages from your tornado touchdown in your garden ?
much Damage to your plants ?
have a nice weekend
cliokchi:)

Dendrobium moniliforme is definitely the species to which they spliced the luciferase gene. I remember it well when they did it because I desperately wanted to buy one of the plants. The few plants from this project which were made available for sale at auction back then, however, sold for scandalously enormous prices. It would have been an obscene absurdity for me to spend such sums of money, hence I ended up with no bioluminescent D. moniliforme in my collection. :rollhappy: I've never heard of any Vanda being spliced with the luciferase gene, but that doesn't mean it never happened.

I think a phosphorescent substance mixed in with the blue dye, on the other hand, could easily be achieved with those Phals cliokchi showed us, as long as the phosphorsecent material was not toxic to the plant. The glow-in-the-dark effect, however, would have to be charged thru exposure to a light source, and it would fade after a few hours and need recharging in order to be seen again and again. I'm definitely not a fan of dyed flowers nor would I be a fan of glowing or singing flowers such I playfully suggested earlier. :wink: A bioluminescent Manjyushage Neofinetia falcata, on the other hand, could be really super cool! :clap:

i havent seen these around here in Canada yet...

I bet the blooms don't live as long. I wonder how they inject a live plant though.
Not my taste either BTW, but I'm just curious

Just wait until Walmart gets their hands on these. They will be blue, glow in the dark and survive on "Just Add Ice". Oh, and the label will read "throw away after blooming".....:eek:

Just wait until Walmart gets their hands on these. They will be blue, glow in the dark and survive on "Just Add Ice". Oh, and the label will read "throw away after blooming".....:eek:

...or perhaps the label will read "tear off a leaf, crumple, then flatten again for use as a refreshing and green personal hygiene wipe"

...and those who do so will end up with bums which blink blue, yellow and green in the dark. :crazy: :rollhappy:

Ahhhh, Walmart.

Latest posts

Back