When does a cyp not seem to be a cyp?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
When it is C. debile. This little guy (I'm being generous calling it little) is just a couple inches tall at the moment. Here it is in bud yesterday:

DebileBud.jpg

This is one of those strange species in the section Retinervia that includes just two others, C. elegans and C. palangshanense. Even the name, debile, is funny, meaning "weak, frail, feeble, etc." Likely that comes from the fact that as the flower develops it is held under the leaves with its face turned earthward. One thing's certain, they are tough to keep alive. This little guy should be blooming in another few days.

I'm impressed that you repeatedly bloom this one. Is that live Selaginella on top of the substrate?

It is two years and counting for this little guy. I lost two plants from a previous year due to keeping them too dry. These plants have no capacity for drying of the soil or low humidity. I'll be glad to keep it going for a few more years. Yes, that is a Selaginella, S. japonica, a very easy dwarf species in this climate.

Latest posts

Back