What's this? Always thought it was....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
false lily of the valley but I cannot find it in my book. Any clues? It's rampant in my woods but I think native.

flotvsc0.jpg

oh yeah, Maianthemum canadense looks right. I'm just going by a book. Woodland plants are a recent thing for me - they were the reason I started gardening on the balc - polygonatums, arisaema, trillium (this is a struggle), tricyrtis, asarum, etc. Thinking about adding a mayapple soonish.

Thanks, but I don't think this is a good time to be trying to transplant one here - about to hit summer temps (I hope). I'll probably get one locally for a strain that's used to our weather - while at a wetland park some 10 mins from my office, I ran into folks from a native plant nursery about 5 mins away - didn't know they existed and just have to check them out.

Favorite balc plant is Polygonatum humile - grows in total urban shade (about 98% shade, if I had to guess) and has spread from 3 stalks with 6 leaves to a nice clump. Unfortunately from asia - not native :(

Probably right - I don't grow them....

LOL. Most people don't grow them - they just *have* them. Growing these types of things in peat mix in pots has been interesting - not much in the way of advice out there ;) I think I need to amend/replace the potting mix next year and I'm undecided as to what to put in it this time around. Maybe I should plant some deciduous stuff so I have natural leaf mulch :rollhappy:

Zach has it right. Maianthemum canadense, Mayflower, or False-lily-of-the-valley. It also smells like true lily-of-the-valley, but not as strong. You also have Trientalis borealis, Starflower, growing alongside it. They are almost always growing together.

Latest posts

Back