What is causing black leaves?!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamprad

Memphis Orchid Society
Reaction score
About a month ago, I started noticing blackening of the leaves of my phrags. Mostly on the tips, but not always. I have repotted since then (most into semi-hydro from cropking, but a couple into a bark mix) and the problem persists with several black areas spotted since repotting. I know that accumulation of salts/overfertilizing causes black leaf tips on phrags, but I worry about a more sinister reason, i.e. bacteria or fungus.

Does this look like typical salt accumulation/overfertilizing or something else?

2517413720_ec02faf325.jpg

This tiny emerging leaf is all black!

2517413718_33db9a06e9.jpg

I think this is common on Phrags that get too dry between waterings. I have it on some as well

Rick H

It's a very common occurrence in my plants too (leaf tips) not so much new leafs. It seems like I can't keep enough water to these guys, and I use RO water for most of their irrigation. Most are in trays that I try to keep filled, but sometimes I mess them in the hotter times.

granted i live in hawaii, but i can water my phrags every single day here for the most part..

Hello, I also think that it was too dry some days. I have had the same thing on my caudatum that dried too much for a few days. I'm growing it into living sphagnum moss so as long as sphagnum is still alive it can't be over-fertilizing.

Top photo: salt accumulation. Flush w/ purer water. Bottom photo: crown rot from fungus/water in crown/ not enough air circulation. Treat the bottom w/ anti-fungal [Dragon's Blood, cinnamon, etc.] and don't water in crown for a while.

Agree on both,
RO yes, it is best for phrags...
...How about no water in the crown at all and add a fan or up the speed of the fans.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. My water here in Memphis is supposed to be very good -- everyone grows their phrags very nicely without having to use RO water. So I am blaming (mostly) lack of water, and am watering them copiously as they adjust to semi-hydro, and sprinkling cinnamon willy-nilly...

I don't think the cinnamon is going to do much for you as it's mainly used for rot. You don't have rot. I took a look at my phrags today and I've been a bad momma. They're screaming at me to hurry up and get the new ebb and flo set-up for them. I'm just not able to keep up with their watering needs this time of year, and it shows. :< You are not alone.

What would you do for the leaves in the crown in the 2nd photo?

In the past few days, that black leaf has grown out a bit, and I see that only the tip is black; there is green lower down, so it presumably is just a blackened leaf tip, not the dreaded rot.

I am watering the heck out of these guys lately, trying to help them make the transition to semi-hydro. The outside humidity should help some, too.

Latest posts

Back