What I have so far

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnyr5

Reaction score
Thought everyone might like a quick look so they can tell me how badly I'm screwing this up :p.

1544539_10107236699842394_1930165526377883630_n.jpg

From left to right
henryanum
mt low
niveum
fowliei
charlesworthii
st swithin
yang-ji apple
randsii
dianthum
micranthum (supposedly eburneum)
and the bazillion babies are jason fischers

growth pics
randsii 6/21
10659181_10107236702018034_6554206630490751990_n.jpg

randsii 8/27
10449531_10107236698270544_5688054836242872451_n.jpg

St swithin 6/21 ( pay no attention to my laundry lol)
10407596_10107236702067934_8627819207147725669_n.jpg

St swithin 8/27
10353090_10107236695735624_3816885840731978744_n.jpg

Hrmm, I think it's just the pics/time of day, could be wrong though. The Radion light ramps up & down to simulate dawn & dusk. The multis are getting about 220 par for most of the day.

Looks like a good set-up to me. The plants look very healthy. A picture with full light would be helpful. With these pictures the leaf color does appear darker than I would expect for plants getting good light, but that could just be the lighting.

The radion is a reef lamp though, or do they make it for plants as well?

If I remember well it has a lot of blue, not much red. The one I had was for reef aquarium and in deed it's flexible and you can adjust the wavelength as you like and do sunset and sunrise, but does it have enough for the plants? It's geared to grow corals and discourage plant (algae) growth.

Hrmm, I think it's just the pics/time of day, could be wrong though. The Radion light ramps up & down to simulate dawn & dusk. The multis are getting about 220 par for most of the day.

The radion is a reef lamp though, or do they make it for plants as well?

If I remember well it has a lot of blue, not much red. The one I had was for reef aquarium and in deed it's flexible and you can adjust the wavelength as you like and do sunset and sunrise, but does it have enough for the plants? It's geared to grow corals and discourage plant (algae) growth.

Yep, you're right. I used to use this light over my Acropora dominated reef before it was destroyed by fumes from drug-cooking neighbors :-( (along with my health). To answer your question: I honestly don't know. I'm experimenting & keeping a photo journal as well as measurements. My hunch is that although it may not have as much red light as full sunlight, there's probably enough for plant growth. I'll report any long-term effects as they come along. Eventually I'll set up a 400w halide with a 6500k bulb for a growth comparison as well. I wish I could do a more authentically scientific experiment, but I'm working with what I have.

I was just saying about this light because a few people here have mentioned that your plants are dark and might not have enough light. Maybe it's just that the Radion have too much blue or the wrong wavelength? Not sure.

I too had a reef tank with lots of acroporas, but I sold the radion because my corals did not color up as well as with the metal halide (Phoenix 14k).

Now I use LED grow light and my plants seem to like it, but I will see in time if they bloom or not under this mostly red light.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your reef. It's a very sad thing.

Yep, you're right. I used to use this light over my Acropora dominated reef before it was destroyed by fumes from drug-cooking neighbors :-( (along with my health). To answer your question: I honestly don't know. I'm experimenting & keeping a photo journal as well as measurements. My hunch is that although it may not have as much red light as full sunlight, there's probably enough for plant growth. I'll report any long-term effects as they come along. Eventually I'll set up a 400w halide with a 6500k bulb for a growth comparison as well. I wish I could do a more authentically scientific experiment, but I'm working with what I have.

Some updates: Paph fowliei is in sheath, started using a 400w halide to see if there's any difference in growth betweenit and the LED's, and I picked up some new plants: dollgoldi, delrosi, iantha stage, tranlienianum (in sheath now), and a single growth venustum in sheath...with a 17in leaf span o_O.

Yeah, a bit dry. I'm gonna add some humidifiers to the room. Right now the humidity is hovering around 55%.
This Mt Low is a weed. I just potted it up from a 4in pot to the 6in aircone the first day of August.

Latest posts

Back