Virus?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamD

Catasetinae Crazed
Reaction score
This plant was fine 3 days ago. Two days ago pitting on the leaves started. Yesterday they started to turn brown. Now today, this

Is it viral?

A better look.

We also had 75 mph straight line winds Saturday night that shredded a few ctsm leaves, not to mention took down trees and knocked out power for a day... Could be wind damage to the leaves

Sigh. Tossed it. It's was definitely a mosaic virus, probably caused by insects. The joys of outdoor growing. All things being equal it was very interesting to see. The pics didn't do it justice

Yikes!
I would gate to see something like that. It looks to be in very active growth and got hit also.
Has this flowered before?
If it has and you like it, then I would send a leaf sample for testing. But remember that virus testing usually check for two, and there are many that affect orchids.
It looks to be some kind of disease with that regular circular shapes all over.
I would love to know just to satisfy my curiosity.

Oh, well...probably for the best as so many leaves were severely affected it seems.

Speaking of diadems and catasetum, today as I was watering my cycnoches and catasetum, Cycnoches Pineapple Popcorn whose flowers I absolutely loved, is showing those little warts.
Now I'm really wanting to check for virus. But i don't think it is caused by the tie big V if viral at all.
I saw that SVO listed Pineapple popcorn on their updated list and the warscewiczii patent used was a different cultivar.
I'm tempted to get it or two.
Such a nice hybrid!

Oh, well...probably for the best as so many leaves were severely affected it seems.

Speaking of diadems and catasetum, today as I was watering my cycnoches and catasetum, Cycnoches Pineapple Popcorn whose flowers I absolutely loved, is showing those little warts.
Now I'm really wanting to check for virus. But i don't think it is caused by the tie big V if viral at all.
I saw that SVO listed Pineapple popcorn on their updated list and the warscewiczii patent used was a different cultivar.
I'm tempted to get it or two.
Such a nice hybrid!

Pineapple Popcorn is a great cross, it'd be a shame to lose one. I didn't notice that the cross was different on the new list. Good eye!

I know. And mine had such nice flowers.

Most of his plants seem to be geared towards "black" flowers which I'm not really into. Some of the plants from such dark crosses can come out with surprisingly different colors which I would love to have, but I don't want to gamble as the chance is probably quite slim. lol

I also see spotted Cycnodes crosses. Fred likes yellow with red spots, but other than Ann-Katherine Berger (spelling probably messed up here lol) x warscewiczii sort, I'm not interested in them, either.

So I'm really eyeing on rather typical yet classic & beautiful yellow or green Cycnoches or non-black preferably miniature catasetum if any.

As I see how much larger my cycnoches gets each year, I'm reluctant to add any more of this group of orchids as space is limited. I would love to buy a bunch and bloom them out, but reality...
:(

Let's say the plant is virused.
Then, I would guess it has been virused for a while without showing any symptoms. And this is not uncommon.
Then, suddenly, the symptoms can show up.
Usually gradual as in chlorotic spots and streaks or irregular marks that eventually die and turn black or dark brown.
Others show wrinkled or malformed leaves or plant parts.
It all depends on the type of virus involved and interactions between virus & host, as well as environmental factors that may affect the host.

what I don't understand is the orchids which growing in the wild ,where all of our orchids descend from, must have virus in them , how do they survive ?

The way I understand is that virus infected plant(s) will weaken and die with or without producing healthy next generation.
There will always be others in the same group that are not infected with virus.
Either way, as a whole group, it won't matter to their survival as it is not likely that entire group becomes infected and die off before leaving behind any progenies.

To orchid growers, virus infected plants are big headache, though, especially if they are one of a kind type plant.

Two days later, a plant from the same cross is showing the same symptoms. And they were the only two affected in my whole collection

Also in the trash can. So much for that cross

It is mites, Ive grown thousands, in a few months the leaves will fall off and in spring the clean new shoots will come out.
Use miticide more.

Latest posts

Back