Virus?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why then did it only affect two plants of the exact same cross (that were a few feet away in the shade house) and leave everything in between alone?

I've dealt with mite damage before, it wasn't mites. I do spray and regulate carefully. Orthene (Acephate) 97 weekly when I have problems. Neem oil when I don't

A better look.

We also had 75 mph straight line winds Saturday night that shredded a few ctsm leaves, not to mention took down trees and knocked out power for a day... Could be wind damage to the leaves

Well... I recognize I didn't take a close look at this picture before writing my comments... The reason why I wasn't sure about the diagnosis is that I never saw virus appearing very quickly.... And I tested many plants in my collection with Immunistrips, destroying near 100 to 150 plants that were positive till now.

But I wonder what other organmism than virus can do such rings on leaves...:poke:

I'm also skeptical, that is why I posted. I will say, catasetinae have crazy fast metabolism this time of year. Possibly if conditions were right? Could it have lied dormant?

I just think it's too much of a coincidence not to be genetic or infected in vitro

I'm also skeptical, that is why I posted. I will say, catasetinae have crazy fast metabolism this time of year. Possibly if conditions were right? Could it have lied dormant?

I just think it's too much of a coincidence not to be genetic or infected in vitro

For what I read about virus, yes, they can be in a plant for a while without showing any symptoms or signs. Such plants may be "dangerous" in our collection because they can be a reservoir of virus for other plants (tools, insects...). In fact, some of the plants I discarded as positive for ORSV or CymMV were asymptomatic (I remember some Phals, Cattleyas, Tolumnias and Phaius). Sometimes the plant showed light sign... like tiny streaks on the blooms. I had a vey nice yellow Tolumnia for years... One day, with the afternoom light, I saw tiny white streaks in the blooms.... He was positive for the 2 virus I tested if I remember well...

If you want to see a very good diaporama about virus: http://staugorchidsociety.org/PDF/OrchidViruses.pdf

And there are other interesting links here : http://staugorchidsociety.org/culturepests-viruses.htm

Virus can show up very quickly. Or the damage of its action on the host plant I should say.
In many cases of asymptomatic plants have virus all over inside them, and once the host weakens, it can just show up.

Latest posts

Back