Virens and dayanum at Sabah

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Continuation from my trip to Sabah. Photos were taken at the same places (Kundasang war memorial gardens, Poring Orchid Centre and Kinabalu Park botanic garden).

Javanicum var. virens/virens grown in a brighter area. I'm not sure whether these plants were newly planted or had a recent topping-up of cocopeat.

Virens in a shadier location at Kinabalu Park botanic garden:

Not sure virens or dayanum:

This was labelled as lawrenceanum but the flower had faded:

Yes particularly those:D Explains that climbing behaviour we observe! Now how to take advantage of this knowledge:confused:

Use open shallow baskets, plastic or wooden. Wild plants of the mottled leaves (hookerae, dayanum, javanicum) mostly have their root systems spreading quite horizontally. But some successful growers such as Nicky Zurcher in South Australia grow very healthy plants of these section using very tall, narrow pots which are commonly sold for Australian native plants, which tend to be deep-rooted.

Personally, I think by not covering the base of the plant with media (unlike the common advice of covering the lowest leaf by half or 1cm), the chance of rot is lowered. If humidity is sufficiently high, the roots will not have trouble growing an inch or two before grasping onto the media.

Latest posts

Back