Vintaigne de Maufant from EYOF

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achamore

Reaction score
Bought this a few months back from Burnhams, delighted to see it spiking so soon. But I'm not all that used to growing in rockwool, and it looks like I may have under-watered. Will hope the next bloom is better. This is kovachii x Petite Queillette, registered by the EYOF in 2012.

The sweet bloom looks very surprised, but not terribly
unhappy. It will improve. I absolutely hate rock wool and
I betcha the plant will be much more satisfied in bark mix
like Orchiata.

Thanks for sharing. Those are unavailable to us yet.

They aren't exactly available in the UK at this point either. But when I bought a few EYOF phrags from Burnham Orchids several months ago, Sarah mentioned that she had also brought back in the van a number of new crosses which were fairly small plants. Knowing how difficult it is to get these or any other EYOF plants, I asked her to send me one of each of whatever she had brought back. Reasonable prices by the way. If you are used to Ratcliffe's extortionate prices of the past, Burnhams do not use that super-high-margin business model which Ratcliffes embraced. I have always found them to have decent prices and good service. And Sara Ritterhausen certainly knows her orchids..!

This cross has not emerged yet, so there were no online images to refer to. I contacted the EYOF to ask if they had any, and Chris Purver kindly sent me a few pics. I'll post them so you can see what the cross can be like. Mine does not appear to have the best form.

Unfortunately phrags do not like to be changed from rockwool into bark. If I make that change I have to reckon on losing a year of its growth. Its fine to go the other way, but once a phrag has put out roots into rockwool, it seems best to leave it in that, at least until it has grown a fair amount.

Hi Don. The small pkants I

Hi Don. The phrags I got from Burnhams ( EYOF ) were also in rockwool.I repotted ito a slightly larger pot, left them in the wool and filled in with bark.I haven't repotted since but I hope when I repot in spring new root growth will be in the bark. I will then get rid of the rockwool which I also do not like.
Hope this plant of yours improves,

Ed

Hi Ed, the problem with that approach is that the bark as a medium requires frequent watering, and if you do that, then the roots in the rockwool will rot. Better to dig away as much of the rockwool as you can if you want to switch to bark. I too prefer the bark, as frequent watering keeps that brown fungus at bay. The EYOF always use rockwool for their phrags, so it is a constant challenge this..!

It has improved after that first day. The pouch filled out, to my surprise, and the petals are no longer reaching for the skies. I'll try to take a new photo tomorrow to share.

Photobucket is acting strange these days, so I hope this photo appears..! The bloom has improved a lot since that first day of being open. This is about 5 days after opening.

Latest posts

Back