Using Physan as a drench?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Physan as a drench? If so, at what concentration?

The directions indicate it's fine at 1.5 tsp/gal for ornamental plants, but I just wanted to check to be sure. I've got 2 pots with what looks like mold growing in them that I'd like to kill with fire.

--Stephen

I have done so, but at 1 teaspoon per gallon. Don't forget that some plants really don't like Physan, which is why I switched to Biosafe Disease Control, which has shown no phytotoxicity whatsoever.

However, the presence of mold indicated decomposition. Treating it is just treating the symptom, not the problem. I'd consider repotting, then treating.

I have done so, but at 1 teaspoon per gallon. Don't forget that some plants really don't like Physan, which is why I switched to Biosafe Disease Control, which has shown no phytotoxicity whatsoever.

However, the presence of mold indicated decomposition. Treating it is just treating the symptom, not the problem. I'd consider repotting, then treating.

Thanks, Ray. I just got the plants (2 Phrag. Barbara LeAnn) and noticed the mold pop up, so I repotted. Now the mold looks like it's growing in the fresh mix so it's time for chemicals.

Angela, they're for two different applications.

Cleary's is a systemic fungicide. Physan is a topical disinfectant that kills bacteria, fungi, algae and viruses.

Our experience was similar to Lance's. Sprayed a 10% solution of Physan 20 on a tray of freshly deflasked Phrag. besseae fma flavum 'Fox Valley Gold' HCC/AOS (x self) seedlings years ago (these were the first flavum seedlings produced) and all died within 10 days. A very expensive lesson. We still use a 10% solution to sterilize cutting tools and to paint on plant wounds, but never as a drench.

Used Physan 20 recently (at slightly weaker than recommended for 'monthly preventative' as per the instructions) to flush through a couple of phals I inherited with bad algae and snow mould. Killed off the problem beautifully in just a few days and no sign of damage to the plants health since.. Never drenched a whole plant though.

That's o.k. Ray. I've got a 30 lb. bag stored. I got a bit
carried away when it was on sale somewhere or other. The
granular stores quite well. Oh, I remember now...our local
Southern States store orders "stuff" for me since we do a
lot of business there.

What are the ingredients in your mix?

Are you sure the fungus is bad? I've seen similar growth in Orchiata, and was told it was a penicillium species that killed other fungi. You could always does it with Inocucor....

What are the ingredients in your mix?

Are you sure the fungus is bad? I've seen similar growth in Orchiata, and was told it was a penicillium species that killed other fungi. You could always does it with Inocucor....

One's in bark/perlite/charcoal, the other 2 are in CHC/perlite/charcoal.

Unfortunately I have no way of knowing what it is. Therefore it has to die lest it spread.

I'll give inocucor a shot if the second dose doesn't eradicate it.

Latest posts

Back